RSLogix500 Losing Rung Comments/Page Titles, etc.

Rob,

When you make a rung comment or page title, you have to select either "Attach to File/Rung", or "Attach to Output Address" (the default setting). Either selection has pitfalls. If you select "File/Rung" for some rungs (but not all), then delete or add a rung, the results can be confusing and unpredictable. If you select "File/Rung" for all rungs, then subsequently add or delete rungs, your comments and titles on a particular rung will move up or down the same number of rungs that you added or deleted BEFORE the particular rung.

If you go online to a file that has a significantly different number of rungs than your saved file, then the resulting movement of the comments and page titles can make you think they have "disappeared". They may still be in the laddder --somewhere! To recover the original layout, you may try "Tools, Database, Adjust Rung Offset", if you can figure out by how many rungs your comments have moved. What if you change the number or name of a file? Major no-no! Then all the comments that were tied to that file do not show up on a ladder anywhere, even though they still may be in the database. To see what is still in there, go to the menu tree "Database, then "Rung Comments/Page Title".

On the other hand if you select "Output Address" to tie the comments and page tittles, then your comments will always show up with that specific output--unless you delete the output! If you move the output to another rung, or add or delete a rung, then your comments stay with the original rung. What if the output shows up more than one place? Major confusion! Suddenly you have the same comment showing up many times.

I think most of us use the "File/Rung" setting and then learn to live with and adjust to the consquences.

Last edited:
After an upgrade to cpr7 i noticed a similar thing.

On some processors (5/03 in partricular) i lost my subroutine labels??? that was it though and directly after the cpr7 upgrade.

typed them back in and its been all good since..

This seems to be a bigger issue than I thought. I'm surprised the thread has been dormant for almost a year. In case I didn't make it clear, the problem appears after a simple, "Go Online" with the proper .RSS file, and 'Save'. RSL ask if I want to save current data files and I reply 'YES'. Data transfer takes place, the save trasaction completes, and I'm left online, watching the RS Ladder icon spinning.

All well and good.

I'm doing this in preparation for program mods. The data would have been changed through the PanelView (job setups) by the engineering types. This data is subsequently found NOT to be present in the freshly saved file. Older data is in it's place. Others complain of missing file names, etc. I've taken to exporting this in RS500 ascii export, to preserve them for downstream users. Until now, I've always thought it was version incompatibility

Last edited:
Hello all,

I never did get a resolution to this issue but I do have a work around. Prior to uploading and going online go to Tools, Database, Rebuild DB. You will be prompted to delete any records that are not attached to an address. I always answer No because there are often symbols and descriptions not currently being used that may be used in the future.

Lancie1, I am aware of the pros and cons to how addresses are attached to outputs but this is not the issue. Every single symbol, description, page title, etc. is gone after the upload.

Hope this helps. If anyone actually finds a fix to this please let us know.

P.S.
I did have a case file open with Rockwell Support on this but it wasn't going anywhere so I gave up and decided to just use this work around. They wanted me to perform a number of tests which involved taking my customers line down which wasn't an option.