Rslogix5000/Ethernet/ip

You have to select that "00, CompactLogix processor" option. If still not working close ur project file, reopen it & try again.

You have to select the processor, not the ethernet port. See the attached picture. You select the ethernet card initially, then go from ethernet port to backplane to CPU (even though it's all one unit). If you click on the CPU, it will allow you to go online/upload/download.

Just FYI, on the newer compact logix's, it's not like that - you just select the PLC as the ethernet card is considered "embedded" rather than a separate "card" within the PLC.

RS5000_IP_7.jpg

Gandalfrw101 said:
...if I try to use AB_ETH-1 and drill down to the L35E port "Go online" never darkens to show it is available(<correction)...

ASF said:
...You have to select the processor, not the ethernet port...on the newer compact logix's, it's not like that - you just select the PLC as the ethernet card is considered "embedded" rather than a separate "card" within the PLC.

I wonder why they did that??? :unsure:

169_L35E ethernet port

Hi everyone,
This afternoon I was able to get an answer to my problem with Ethernet communications.

open RSLogix500, Select the "Communications" menu > Who Active select the Ethernet driver you use in RSlinx, >select the Ethernet port use the plus sign to open the backplane select the CompactLogix Processor, finally right click the Go Online button.
Notice the path now.

Thank for all the input in and direction on this problem.

RS5000_IP_8.jpg

That's what was described in posts 12, 14, 16, and 17 of this thread.

But sometimes only step-by-step directions makes sense.

It's easy to get confused because of the way a CompactLogix tries to emulate the backplane of a ControlLogix but to a casual observer it all looks like one little box.

Glad you got online via Ethernet... so much quicker than serial !

Ken,

I think Gandalfrw101 is referring to your earlier kind remarks?...

Ken Roach said:
...You'll find that the 1769-L35E requires several EDS files to describe its Ethernet daughtercard, virtual backplane object, and CPU to the RSLinx software. Our colleague George has written a fantastically detailed post in the past month or so explaining why and how to find the right files...

This is small excerpt from a previous post (not document!), which should be sufficient to outline their complexity, EDS wise...

Geospark said:
...here is the specific EDS package for the CompactLogix controllers up to v20...

26315 - EDS files for all CompactLogix to solves browse and expanding backplane issues
Access Level: Everyone

...In RSLinx, if you can see a controller's embedded Ethernet Port or a bridge module in the chassis, such as a 1768-ENBT, but cannot browse beyond it i.e. the '+' will not expand, then the chances are you don't have the correct EDS file for the chassis (backplane)...

...The older CompactLogix are complicated at the backplane level. You browse in through the embedded Ethernet port as though it is a bridge module in the chassis. It's fixed as slot 01. processor is 00, and virtual backplane, or virtual adapter (VA) is slot 03. The VA is then the 1769-Bus, which starts again under that with a VA at slot 00. You then browse your actual I/O modules here on this virtual sub-backplane, starting at slot 01, and so on. It can look complex when all expanded. I've attached a screenshot of a complex backplane arrangement from one of my projects. While obviously many EDS files are needed for this project, I've have only marked what needs an EDS file in relation to this thread...

...See attachment...

Regards,
George

CompactLogix_EDS.png

Looking at your attached picture of the who active you are trying to connect to the ethernet port you should move up to the processor and connect there.

jknels01,

You are a bit late to the party. The OP has already cottoned on to that fact at post #19 after being repeatedly hammered with said fact. ;)

Ken Roach said:
That's what was described in posts 12, 14, 16, and 17 of this thread...

Ken,

You can add post #24 to that list now!

G.