RSNetworx v21 Windows Installer runs everytime I open RSLogix

bubbagumper6

I recently upgraded my RSLogix 5000 version to v21 which pretty much forced me to upgrade my RSNetworx versions as well (EDS files stopped working) so they are both (Devicenet & Ethernet) at version 21 now as well. But now I've found every time I open RSLogix, Windows installer has to run and 'configure' RSNetworx.

If I uninstall both the Devicenet and Ethernet versions, Logix will open no problem, no installer required. I tried reinstalling them and it does the same thing.

Any advice?

I had the same issue when I was setting up my laptop.
Rockwell gave me the following response:
It might be that permissions were not set correctly when RSNetWorx and RSLogix were installed.
May I suggest uninstalling and reinstalling under the following conditions.
1. Ensure you are logged on as an administrator
2. Disable Windows UAC ( User Account Control Settings)
3. Create temporary folders on the C drive and copy installation files for RSNetWorx, RSLogix 5 and RSLogix 500 into respective temporary folders.
4. Run the installation ( Setup) from the local drive

It worked for me on Windows 7......

I can't really log in as an administrator. This is a work computer so I can only log in with my company credentials, but I'll try the other steps anyway. Are you suggesting I completely uninstall Logix as well? Or do I just need to uninstall/reinstall Networx?

Administrator is just to make sure you can actually install software....I think.

I had to copy the downloads/CDs to a new directory on the C: drive, then uninstall RSNetworx, I think I had to uninstall all my RSLogix, but you may get away with just the latest version of Logix5000 rather than every version..
Re-install from the C-Drive and it should then be OK

Of course, it could be that you have RSNetworx install files on the C Drive and it picks up the necessary info from there. I naver quite go to the bottom of this one, but it seems to be fine now.

If I uninstall RSLogix 5000 versions 19 and 20 what will happen when I try to go online with a PLC running one of these versions? Will v21 allow me to do this without flashing their firmware?

Edit: Nevermind, I'm downloading the install files for v20 (which I believe includes the older versions as well) right now.

Last edited:
Logix5000 is too clever for its own good - V21 would not let you get on line without the correct version, unless of course you update the firmware.

Better to have all versions installed - I have V13 to 21 now, with care on V20 as one of my 3rd party PLCs has V20.01 (I think) rather than V20.1 or was it V20.3 - anyway it did not let me on.....

So careful what versions you load....make sure they are what you need, and keep the interim versions ready to load if need be.

I downloaded and installed version 21.01 of RSNetWorx (as opposed to my current version 21.00) and it seems to have solved my issue.

I also did not allow the installation of the Online Books or Tutorial Files so that may have had something to do with it but I'm assuming it was the version update that fixed it.

Now have v19.01, 20.00, & 21.00 of Logix5000, and 21.01 of NetWorx and everyone seems to be playing nicely (On Windows 7 64bit no less). Thanks for the help guys.