RSTrend Replacement

maverick33

Quite a while back (more than 10 years) I used a stand alone program called RS Trend that served the purpose well at the time. I have heard that it has since been incorporated into RS View as via ActiveX. I was looking into something similar to RSTrend for some upcoming projects and wondering if people had used something similar or if there were alternatives that operated as a stand alone package. Sample time is not critical, every 5 seconds for a sample rate would be fine. Looking to log about 200-300 tags in one file on a daily basis. Really looking for a simple tool that does not require a bunch of scripting and OPC work translating things from excel. Does anyone have any suggestions or alternatives? Many thanks to any suggestions or insights.

I think what you were referring to is called TrendX.

If you use RSLogix 5, or 500, or 5000, software,
you can find the term Trend in the project tree where you can trend values in your PLC project.

If this is no help then can you tell us more detail of how you intend to use the Trending and what you intend to trend.

thanks for the reply. I was aware of the trendX option but really what I was looking for was a stand alone package that would allow users to view just the trends in things like motor amps and speed, tank levels, temperatures etc. Just something that can run on an independent terminal that allows viewers to have a snapshot of say the last 12 hours of activity. Does that give you a a better picture?

HI Maverick
Many years ago I had RsTrend and I really liked it. I found it easy to use and able to store a good amount of data. Then it just went away, when I asked my Rockwell vendor it was oh, you really don’t need that anymore you can trend in Logix or set up a RsView (now FactoryTalk View) project and use its trending. Well I did but just didn’t like it I found it more difficult to set up and manage. I then purchased Canary Trend. It took a bit of getting used to but found it much better than the View trend and even better than RsTrend. So for what it’s worth I would recommend checking it out.

...you really don’t need that anymore you can trend in Logix or set up a RsView (now FactoryTalk View) project and use its trending.
Yes, RSView and FactoryTalk View have built-in Trending functions that allow setting up customized trends for any tag or several tags on one trend graph, fairly easily.

thanks for all the replies and suggestion to check out canary labs, I will do that.

rkukl - that seems almost exactly like the experience I had with RSTrend, I thought it was a really handy tool for the things that I was doing at the time and liked the simplicity of RSTrend. I was disappointed when it went away too, I will look into the canary labs tool and see how that goes.

thanks again