Rsview 32 tags

I will be using rsview 32 on a upcoming project for a customer. I have always used factory talk studio to design all my interface software. My question is what is the difference in tag setup/usage between the two?

On FTS: after the tags have been created in rs logic 5000, I am then able to use them on the interface.

Is it the same way with RsView32?

Please help me out

AutomationNewbie said:
...On FTS: after the tags have been created in rs logic 5000, I am then able to use them on the interface.

Is it the same way with RsView32?...

You haven't mentioned what controller you are going to use with RSView32, but from the above I'm assuming it's a tag based Logix controller?

Also, by "interface", I assume you want to browse to the tags Online?

Either way, I'll briefly explain Offline and Online tag browsing for both controller types...

Data File Address based controller, e.g. SLC 500:

The Tag Database Editor is used in RSView32 to access Offline tags.

If you were using an SLC, for instance, you would point to the Offline *.RSS program file. RSView32 can only see addresses using a tagname format, so the Data File addresses must be assigned a symbolic tagname which will show up in the "Address/Symbol" editor in RSLogix 500. RSView32 then reads in these assigned Symbols for use in the application.

Tag based controller, e.g. ControlLogix:

Here you need to use OPC Tag Browsing in RSView32 to access Offline tags.

First, in RSLinx, you create an OPC Topic and set Data Collection for RSLogix 5000 controller type. Use the "Symbols File" data type and point the topic at the *.ACD file.

In RSView32, you create an OPC Browsing Node and name it something like "OFFLINE" to distinguish it. You point that node at the RSLinx OPC Server.

Then when you need a tag in RSView32, you browse to the node, expanding it out until it's browsing the offline tags via the OPC Topic.

If you want to use Online tags for either controller type, then you use the Tag Browser in RSView32 and create a shortcut pointing at the controller.

You also did not mention which version of RSView32 you will be using?
If you were using v3.00, or older, then direct referencing of controller tags is not supported. You have to create HMI tags and indirectly reference the controller tags. Using HMI tags can significantly burden the terminals memory usage, depending on the level of detail per display, and the number of tags on scan at one time. It's likely you won't be using a version as old as that, but you never know.

Some info worth reading...

34805 - Differences between RSView32 and FactoryTalk View SE/ME/Station
Access Level: TechConnect

Looking at conversion info to go from RSView32 to FTView SE may be useful as well...

27708 - RSView32 to FactoryTalk View SE Conversion Guidelines
Access Level: TechConnect

Regards,
George

If I configure Tag_A and do not monitor it for alarms it counts as only one tag. If I create Tag_B and monitor it for high and low level alarms it still only counts as one tag. The text associated with a particular alarm does not count "extra" either.

OG

AutomationNewbie said:
I was wanting to know if the Alarm messages count toward tags

Operaghost said:
If I configure Tag_A and do not monitor it for alarms it counts as only one tag. If I create Tag_B and monitor it for high and low level alarms it still only counts as one tag. The text associated with a particular alarm does not count "extra" either.

OG

Yes, alarm messages are merely text strings stored in the project and have nothing to do with the tag count. Your tag count will be whatever it is when your finished creating them. You then merely assign certain tags, or more their values, to trigger the alarm messages. Alarm messages will of course add to the overall project size.

G.

RS View 32 tutorial videos in English
I have a project that I will be working on and do not have the software here in my office, the customer has the software on the job site.
I am new to RS view 32 and have never used it before. I will be drawing several items on the interface and entering the tags that go along with them.
I would like to know several things such as:
where do I finds tags from the PLC
how do I make new tags
how do I place messages in the alarms and events
how do I find out how many tags the whole program has used

Also if you know of any other info that ill need to know please tell me.
I would like to find a video about how to do these items (all rsview 32 videos on youtube are in spanish )

Thank you for your time