RSVIEW 32 Version 4.6

On this screen shot, your EVMOVE software is not showing ANY key codes on Drive A (Under the "Installs" heading, there must be at least a "1", or more).

In order to MOVE a key code, you must first have one on the drive that EVMOVE is looking at. Do you have a key code on an existing hard drive? If so, change the "Move From" to Drive X, where X is the drive where your software currently is installed. Once you move the key code from this location, the copy of the program there will no longer run except in Demo mode.

EDIT: Warning, if you are unfamilar with the software, you can accidently move the key code to a disk and be unaware of the move. Then you will not know where it is or how to locate it. This could result in disabling of your software.

Last edited:
Rsview

On this screen shot, your EVMOVE software is not showing ANY key codes on Drive A (Under the "Installs" heading, there must be at least a "1", or more).

In order to MOVE a key code, you must first have one on the drive that EVMOVE is looking at. Do you have a key code on an existing hard drive? If so, change the "Move From" to Drive X, where X is the drive where your software currently is installed. Once you move the key code from this location, the copy of the program there will no longer run except in Demo mode.

EDIT: Warning, if you are unfamilar with the software, you can accidently move the key code to a disk and be unaware of the move. Then you will not know where it is or how to locate it. This could result in disabling of your software.

OK so the two disketts I have don't hold the activation keys? The computer that currently has the programs on it and that is running is in bad shape. The A/drive is not working on the unit and thumb drives are not being recognized and computer is not set up on the network. I wanted to toss this computer out and utilize a newer unit. I was hoping that I could get recipes out but again having issues with that. I have an IOMEGA drive I was going to try and install to get that information but again it is in bad shape. If i can do this can I utilize this drive (IOMEGA) to pull the activation keys out of the machine?

Thanks again for the information.

James

If i can do this can I utilize this drive (IOMEGA) to pull the activation keys out of the machine?
I have done that before to recover a file from an old computer. Also, I have plugged in a new floppy drive temporarily to recover data. I have better luck with EVMoveCF (Version 4.7), which is made to better access portable media drives (thumb drives.)

Another way is to get a new copy of the code from Allen Bradley, provided you have the serial number of the registered copy of the program. You could previously download this, but I don't know if that feature is still available.

I had to call Rockwell and they sent me 2 diskettes which I thought would be the end of my troubles.
If these diskettes are "master copies" then you might be able to use them to activate your program, without a key code. But I don't think you will be able to use EVMOVE to move anything from them.

Last edited:
So, rockwell probably sent you master disks without licenses. This means that you're limited to demo mode until you physically move the license. Unless you put two floppy drives in the machine and set the license search path to include them both...

Does the Win98 machine have a USB port that you can use with an old memory stick? I keep an old 256MB stick around that works in the earliest USB port machines. Sometimes it's a PITA to get drives (especially for NT), but I think Win98 has a generic driver that will allow you to use one.

I 2nd Lancie on using EVMoveCF with a USB stick.

Also, if you have a techconnect or other support agreement with Rockwell, call them and ask for replacement license disks. They may bend the rules and allow you to have duplicate licenses for the purpose of FAT before integration.

Rsview

I have done that before to recover a file from an old computer. Also, I have plugged in a new floppy drive temporarily to recover data. I have better luck with EVMoveCF (Version 4.7), which is made to better access portable media drives (thumb drives.)

Another way is to get a new copy of the code from Allen Bradley, provided you have the serial number of the registered copy of the program. You could previously download this, but I don't know if that feature is still available.

If these diskettes are "master copies" then you might be able to use them to activate your program, without a key code. But I don't think you will be able to use EVMOVE to move anything from them.

This is what is on the diskettes. I have a valid serial key for the Rockwell software. I am going to try an older style of thumb drive to see if I can make this happen. IS there an easy way to pull recipes/settings out at the same time? If not what are some of the extensions that I should look for to manually get out of the machine? Thanks to everyone again.

James

IMAG0584.jpg

The cable with "D700" marked on it from a "PCI" card, sounds as if it is a KTX card for DH+ comms. The D700 is a fixed memory area that you had to set on the KTX card.
KTX matches DH+ connection to a PLC5/60 CPU.
A KTX card is an ISA slot card, not PCI.
The KTX card will not run in a new PC.
So you need to check if the card is really a KTX-ISA or a PKTX-PCI card.
For a new PC to connect to DH+ you will need a PKTX (PCI) or a 1784-U2DHP (USB).

Re USB thumb drive:
This wont work with the regular EVMOVE or EVRESET. These softwares needs a floppy disk or a physical hard drive.

Suggestion: Use EVMOVE on the old running PC, and specify the surce as the C-drive (not the A-drive).
That will hopefully reveal a license for RSview32 and a license for RSLinx OEM.
Do not actually try to move the license yet !

Prepare for moving the licenses: Get a NEW UNUSED floppy disk. Quick format it (required, do not skip).

NOTICE: I do not know if there are special steps to transfer the RSView32 runtime project to the new PC. You have to find out of that by yourself or with the help from some of the other members.

When you are ready to do the switch:
On the new PC, insert the PKTX in a PCI slot or the 1784-U2DHP in a USB port.
The driver for the PKTX/1784-U2DHP should install. If Windows cannot find the plug-and-play driver, you probably have to find it on the RSLinx install CD.
On the old PC, restart cleanly without RSLinx starting up, the way Ken described, then move the license from the C-drive to the new floppy disk.
On the new PC, move the license from the floppy to the C-drive.
Now, on the new PC setup the PKTX/1784-U2DHP DH+ connection in RSLinx.

Last edited:
Rsview

To find out what card is installed in the old PC, look in the Control Panel ... System ... Device Manager. There should be a special Allen Bradley card.

My card looks like this on the back of the unit (see attached). Was this type of card available in ISA? When I list cards through the device manager it pulls up a davicom 9102 card.

James

The davicom card is an ethernet adapter.

The KTX and the PKTX cards are very similar from the outside.
The KTX has an RJ45 port between the two terminal blocks. The PKTX is exactly as the image you posted.

The davicom card is an ethernet adapter.

The KTX and the PKTX cards are very similar from the outside.
The KTX has an RJ45 port between the two terminal blocks. The PKTX is exactly as the image you posted.

It is an ISA card there is an RJ45 port between the two. Very hard to see where the computer is located and again the less I move it around the better. I am going to check into the newer PCI card. I tried listing the properties in the com port but again did not see anything as far as what card was in that slot.

I am looking at the new cards on line and is there a certain series or anything else I would need to make this swap happen? I have also identified all my recipes with a .RCP extension. Is there some way to import settings from old computer?

Under the heading "you learn something new every day": I have never seen that "COPYPROT.RSI" file, but then I stopped using floppy disk activations a long time ago.

Try configuring Windows to show hidden System files and look for the Activation file itself, which should be named "EVRSI.SYS". That's the encrypted file that holds the activation.

It's possible that RA sent you a diskette that is capable of holding the activation, so that you could transfer it from the old PC.

Such a diskette is prepared to hold an EVRSI activation file but doesn't actually have an activation on it.

This may be irrelevant, since you said the diskette drive on the original PC doesn't work anyway. You might have to remove the HDD on the original PC, put it into an IDE/USB enclosure, and move the activation to the new PC that way using the modern "EVMOVECF" utility that supports removable drives.

You're going to have to buy a new DH+ interface at some point: the modern one from Rockwell Automation is the 1784-U2DHP. Again, there's a high risk that modern hardware won't work with decade-old software. And the connector is different, so you'll have to build a little adapter or get the one Grace Engineering makes.

Recipe file migration.... I'm just not familiar enough with how it worked in the late 90's to tell you. Install the software and use the 2-hour trial to test it out.

Rsview

Under the heading "you learn something new every day": I have never seen that "COPYPROT.RSI" file, but then I stopped using floppy disk activations a long time ago.

Try configuring Windows to show hidden System files and look for the Activation file itself, which should be named "EVRSI.SYS". That's the encrypted file that holds the activation.

It's possible that RA sent you a diskette that is capable of holding the activation, so that you could transfer it from the old PC.

Such a diskette is prepared to hold an EVRSI activation file but doesn't actually have an activation on it.

This may be irrelevant, since you said the diskette drive on the original PC doesn't work anyway. You might have to remove the HDD on the original PC, put it into an IDE/USB enclosure, and move the activation to the new PC that way using the modern "EVMOVECF" utility that supports removable drives.

You're going to have to buy a new DH+ interface at some point: the modern one from Rockwell Automation is the 1784-U2DHP. Again, there's a high risk that modern hardware won't work with decade-old software. And the connector is different, so you'll have to build a little adapter or get the one Grace Engineering makes.

Recipe file migration.... I'm just not familiar enough with how it worked in the late 90's to tell you. Install the software and use the 2-hour trial to test it out.

I used the database import/export feature from some old back up disk I found and it worked until i got to the page that shows "403 tags found software only supports 35". I understand that this is the demo version. I know that if I use EVMOVE to get the passkeys it will render the old machine useless. Can I utilize the the import/export wizard to get all the settings and information or will this do the same as EVMOVE and render the machine useless?

Thanks again to everyone, James

Can I utilize the the import/export wizard to get all the settings and information or will this do the same as EVMOVE and render the machine useless?
NO, I don't think that the Import/Export database wizard will have any effect on your key codes. Exporting a database should not delete anything in the database, but just makes a copy of it and sends the copy somewhere else.

Last edited: