RSView ME Backup Restore

RBergmann

Recently had a catastrophic OS failure on my laptop. Fortunately, I had just replaced (about a month, or so, ago) the HD (mirrored the smaller onto a larger drive) and had the old one sitting by in the case of something like this happening. I also run a nightly backup of all program files. Obviously this is not enough.

Where I am having an issue is in restoring the RSView ME project that I've been working on for months. I don't have a current *.apa file to restore from. The HD that has the failed OS is still accessible as a slave, and I can locate some of the files using search on the failed drive (again, the drive has not failed, the OS has) using search. Apparently I have not located all files necessary for restoring the project. Any assistance is appreciated.

... rab

I have not encountered such, but you may try this - copy from your previous drive all the project files from the following directory

X:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\RSView Enterprise\ME\HMI projects\

and paste to

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\RSView Enterprise\ME\HMI projects\

Take note do not disturb the default sample folders in this directory, such as 'baggage, bizbikes, malthouse, objects etc, doing so may screw your installation, at least in ver.4. Weird!!

Last edited:
You could also reinstall windows on top of the existing install and choose to leave data intact. Many times if there is just a MBR issue or something like that it can fix the problem.

I try to make a backup of project files that i am working on at least at the end of the day. Logix more frequent but view takes longer so at the end of the day works. I save those to mydropbox folder using free dropbox http://www.dropbox.com/ and wait until its sync is finished before i shutdown my computer. This way you have a offsite backup for in progress projects. Compleded stuff gets backed up to our server.

A virus can also cause boot problems boot the machine and scan it with free avg antivirus or one of the other brands most have a free bootable of older versions. Avg can be booted and run from a usb stick or a cd.

Copying the files won't do you any good all by itself. Here's what you need to do:

• Create a new project with the exact same name as your original
  • Close the project
  • Copy your files from your original source into the newly created folder within X:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\RSView Enterprise\ME\HMI projects\ (thanks chavak), overwriting the newly created files.
  • Open the project
OG

Last edited:
I managed to get the project restored. Copying the files from the drive with the fail OS didn't work. I diligently identified what I could, but came up short.

Here's what did work:

I opened RSView ME without opening a project. Started a new project (needed to provide a name other than what I used in the next step). Use the import button at the prompt. Selected the MER type project. Found the *.MER file on the failed drive and imported.

Worked like a charm except for my RSLink Enterprise short cut. But I had an earlier version of the project file on the drive with the good OS, that I put back in my computer and was able to simply copy the communications from there.

I was in absolute panic about this. A simple automated backup is not enough. As far as I can see, you must create an APA file to backup with the least amount of pain. Rockwell must have a better way to automate backups. This is scary.

... rab

Even after a backup from the .apa it can mess up the users associated with the project. When we back up the project to a shared drive and someone else has to restore it to perform service, the users do not work correctly after download. If you have this problem reply and I give can more details about what to do to fix them

i have a .apa file but when i am restoring it from Application Manager it is giving error like insifficent space ,file already exist etc etc plz tell me the procedure.

i have a .apa file but when i am restoring it from Application Manager it is giving error like insifficent space ,file already exist etc etc plz tell me the procedure.
Try to Restore with different name. Will NOT Restore project if it already exists. Also, Restore Version must 5.0 or higher to restore an .apa file

Strangely [at least in RSView ME version] of software do not have an option to overwrite previous ones. Those basic file utilities are not existent here.

Workaround - as mentioned previously is to restore as a different name or delete the existing project first before you restore.

You just need to cross your fingers while deleting it and believing in your backup is good:unsure: