RSView32 ADS with XP service pack 2 help!

mazzjazz

Does anyone know how to configure windows xp service pack 2 to work with rsview32 active display sever and active display client? The rockwell knowledge base article is locked.
I have recently had to replace the computer running rsview32 active display server now cannot get the client to connect. ( both the server and the client are now running xp service pack 2 )
I see that it is supposedly possible to configure it to work, but I can't get to the information I need to do it.
I was hoping someone may have had to do this and has the necessary information.
Thanks!

Last edited:
There are a lot of gotchas as I just did this myself. Make sure you are running version 7.1 or above. Also the DCOM permission settings on the server need to be opened up to allow everyone and every user access. If you can give more details about where you are you'll get better responses here.

more info

I belive that I have dcom opened up. I am running version 7.1.
when i try to connect to the server i get the error :
The RAD server on , servername, already has the maximum number of rad clients connected.
I know that is not the case. All of the research I have done points to service pak 2 being the issue.
I know I am asking a lot of someone to tell me how to configure this, but I am hoping that someone may have Rockwell's procedure that they could share with me.
thanks again.

There is no procedure because every version of RSView changes the way things operate. Make sure Windows Firewall is turned off or you have run the firewall setup wizard. Also make sure SP3 is not installed on XP by auto updates. One other thing to try when I get max number of clients allowed is to re-boot the server and disconnect all clients to reset the connections to the server. If you have TechConnect support I'd highly recommend calling Rockwell as the support guys for ADS have been through this drill often. If you have an internet connection they can also do a remote login to help you with your Windows settings.

There is a problem (at least on V6.xx) the ads displays a blank screen and or will not run macro's, this was due to a service pack KB94xxxx cannot remember the rest but it is in the rockwell knowledge base (I found it before they did).
It is a security update for i.e.

There is no workround apart from removing the above update.

I just did this for a client running 7.1 and SP2 and had no problems once I had the firewall disabled and DCOM settings opened. BTW are all the RSView products at the same rev 7.10?

Yes, they are all 7.1.
I am wondering if i am opening the DCOM settings correctly. May I ask you to be more specific as to exactly what DCOM settings I must open? I am assuming that when you say open, you mean allow all. But I am not sure that I am opening all of the right programs' dcom settings.
I go into component services/computers/mycomputer/DCOM config
from there ??

This sounds like a case where I would try this on the RSView32 in case its holding the previous PC's cache files and trying to run with them.

Something I have posted before.

Just a different slant that may be worth trying.

Sometimes when edits are done in RSView 32, the project just does not want to release the cache files, and tries to keep running on previous settings.

A repair I do if any issue crops up, is to shut down the project, then in windows explorer, go into the project folder, open the cache folder, and blow away all files in that cache folder, they will be rebuilt on the next start up.

The next thing I do is go to the projects Tag folder, and look for one file with "the project name".cac
I THEN BLOW THAT ONE ONLY AWAY, leaving all the other files in that folder, this .cac file also will be rebuilt on project start up.

Then shut down computer and reboot and run your project.

I cant promise this will fix your problem, but it wont harm it either.

Let me try to be even more specific.
The first time I try to open the Active Display Client when it connects to the server I get an error that says : " The server, computername, does not have access on this machine" That error comes up on the client. If I am watching the task manager on the server I can see that it does open an instance of Radserver32.exe on the server. At this point, the client should recieve the log on window from the server. Instead I get the above error. The next time I try to do it is when I get the error : "The RAD server on , servername, already has the maximum number of rad clients connected." If I go into task manager on the server and end the process "RADserver32.exe" and try again I get the original error, again. It seems to me that the client is talking to the server, but not allowing the server to talk back.
I am sorry if I have not been clear enough about all of this. This is my first time posting on this site. I do appreciate everyones help. Thank you.

Global default DCOM Permission settings

I go into component services/computers/mycomputer/DCOM config
from there ??

NO! Under Component services you want to expand until you get down to the "My Computer" and then Right click on My Computer and select properties. Select the COM Security tab at the top. You should see 4 buttons to add user permissions to. I generally add and allow all users to the machine as well as all machine users such as Anonymous Login, Interactive, System, etc. to have local and remote Access, Launch, and Activation permissions.
BTW if you have changed any security permissions in the DCOM config folder change them back to default permissions so your other changes will take effect.
The first error message you are getting from the client would indicate a DCOM security issue on the server.

Last edited: