Run two instances of Wonderware InTouch 7.x

Who told you that there are no alternatives?
If you don't know alternatives, this doesn't mean that they don't exist.

No one told me.
It is common knowledge amongst Wonderware users that 2x correctly licensed & installed instances cannot be run at the same time.

I fail to see the point of trying to do this anyway, the other suggestions provided here are much more practical.

What I'm talking about is a Microsoft Windows OS problem. For example, I'm using Tristation software which also doesn't allow you to start more than one instance of the program. But you can overcome this limitation by making another Windows user and start Tristation again by right clicking its icon and choosing "RunAs", then choose to run it using the user account you have just created.

But unfortunately, this trick didn't work for Wonderware InTouch.

I somehow doubt that it is a MS Windoze OS problem, rather Intouch preventing running the more than 1x instance at the same time.

You should of mentioned your 'trick' in the first post, rather than ignoring what everyone here has said to you that it cannot be done.

Technically...

Terminal Services is your only option "legally". On the latest OS, Win2k8 R2, you can run two simulataneous RDP sessions... so technically that would work as well (Terminal Services Lite).

Since you are running a very old version of InTouch, it's not likely you are on an advanced OS.

Any way you slice it, you will require the proper licensing. Final answer...

Hello,

I am a newbie to WonderWare. I have a customer whose Wonderware 7.11 workstation crashed. I have been unable to get the IO server to function on the new machine that I built. The PLC is an Opto 22.

There is another workstation that works and is connected another PLC that is also an Opto 22. I want to run both of the WW projects from the same workstation. I know that this thread seems to indicate that is not possible, but please hear me out.

These do not need to be run simultaneously. I can start and run both projects from the workstation. However, when I launch the Viewer, it will launch against the original project.

If there is some way to open project A and launch Viewer A; run my process; then open project B and launch Viewer B, I would be set.

I am thinking this all relates to the Incontrol service, but I am unsure if a can create two that will allow control to pass by starting and stopping.

Any suggestions?

I think first and foremost, we should try to resolve the issue with the IO Server. This could be relatively simple. InTouch 7.11 is a very old version, and my hope is that you are at least running under an acceptable OS per the pre-requisites. That can be pretty tricky give the version.

I have to dig into our tech-notes online, but I do believe you can create separate WindowViewer icons and manipulate the properties on the icon to direct the executable to a specific project... OR you could take a few extra steps and run the InTouch Application Manager to select which application you will put into runtime since they do not need to run simultaneously.

You also have the option (if you are a registered System Integrator with Wonderware) to reach out to your local distributor (Wonderware North) tech support. They are very capable of helping you resolve not only this issue, but also getting the IO Server back on track. Working with them is also a great way to cut your teeth.

Beyond that, this forum would be a horrible place to help troubleshoot given the lack of direct communication.

I hope this helps.