S7-1200 Network cable supports

BryanG

I know that Siemens have their own supports for where the Network/Profitnet cable enters the S7-1200 range, but they don't support standard Ethernet cables, and they are a bit 'ouch' in price. In another thread I mentioned I had recently acquired a 3D printer, so I designed and printed my own. Pictures attached. I am a skinflint tight*rse so I used FreeCad for the design work, it can export to .dwg but I don't know the results. I have attached the FreeCad designs. I printed with a 0.4mm nozzle and 0.1mm layer height. There is space for cable ties to hold the cable even more firmly.

https://www.freecadweb.org/

Network cable support.JPG Network cable support 2.JPG

Attachments

• Ethernet Cable Supports.zip
    109 KB · Views: 17
The little tabs hold, but for standard network cables there is a worrying degree of rotation available about the Z axis. I have been to a few panels where they have had duct covers off and 'played' with wiring and the network plugs were no longer at 90 degrees to the PLC. I don't have proof that this was the cause of some network problems, but fitting the Siemens version of this clip seemed to stop the issues.

The Siemens version is, I assume, made for Profinet connectors and isn't a 'good' fit with standard network connectors, plus they are expensive. These clips are a much better fit to the cable plugs, and a load cheaper, and if my supplier modifies the plug, I can modify the clip to match.

I didn't put in my original post that I print them with the back facing upwards and it is then printed as a bridge. It feels backwards but was the only way I could see to get the edges that go in to the PLC to print correctly. Otherwise I would have had to add support material, or split the print in to two and then glue them together.