S7-1500 PROFINET IO Error: "Hardware component user data failure"

AlfredoQuintero

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hello to PROFINET IO gurus.
Has anybody seen this kind of error logged in an S7-1500 diagnostics buffer? This PLC application has two PROFINET IO devices connected through an unmanaged switch. The TIA Program is not made aware of topology. All devices ports can be connected to any partner.
As is always the case, will be very gratgeful for comments and words of wisdom.
Alfredo

Hello to PROFINET IO gurus.
Has anybody seen this kind of error logged in an S7-1500 diagnostics buffer? This PLC application has two PROFINET IO devices connected through an unmanaged switch. The TIA Program is not made aware of topology. All devices ports can be connected to any partner.
As is always the case, will be very gratgeful for comments and words of wisdom.
Alfredo

When I've seen errors like that before, it usually means something weird is happening at the network layer, or a GSD file is bad. Managed switches are strongly recommended for PN, as opposed to unmanaged switches.

In theory, unmanaged switches should be OK for Profinet, at least for a small system. You don't get some features like topology, and you might not get data prioritization, but in theory the data should still get there fine in a low traffic environment.

In practice, I've seen a lot of really weird errors when unmanaged switches are used, even for things that should be totally unrelated.

Last edited:
I've had an error like this using an i-device (CPU as a Profinet IO Device).

If I change the I/O size or addressing for the i-device, I have to download to both the Profinet IO Controller and Profinet IO Device CPUs... if I download to only one or the other, I get a fault like you described.