s7-200 com setup

kevin91172

Hello,
I am new to the Siemens world and just got a S7-200.I have a lap top with only 3 USB ports COM 3,4,6 and using a RS232/PPI Multmaster cable. I have all the switches set to o,remote address o,Baud rate 19.2,access path=PC/PPI cable, local connation com4.I get an error:Communicationtime-out.Check the port number, network address,buad rate, and the attached cable. What do have wrong? One error came up during this adventure is I needed a RS232/USB cable. Is this correct. I have an USB adapter the works with my PanelMate ,c-more,ez tuoch,directlogic32.

It may be the USB-232 convertor, there are problems sometimes using them with an AB PIC. I have an USB PPI and have had no problems with comms at all.

Sorry i couldnt be more help, maybe someone else will chip in!

kevin91172 said:
Hello,
I am new to the Siemens world and just got a S7-200.I have a lap top with only 3 USB ports COM 3,4,6 and using a RS232/PPI Multmaster cable. I have all the switches set to o,remote address o,Baud rate 19.2,access path=PC/PPI cable, local connation com4.I get an error:Communicationtime-out.Check the port number, network address,buad rate, and the attached cable. What do have wrong? One error came up during this adventure is I needed a RS232/USB cable. Is this correct. I have an USB adapter the works with my PanelMate ,c-more,ez tuoch,directlogic32.
I have used a PCMCIA serial card.
Your old cable will work just fine with that. Not sure if your laptop has a PCMCIA slot or an express slot. If you have an express slot, you are running out of options. You can look for a compatible USB to serial adaptor.
The best thing to do is get the USB/PPI cable if you will be working with the S7-200 series, less headaches.

A new S7-200 straight out of the box will have a baud rate of 9600 as standard, set the software to 'search all baud rates' and hopefully you will be OK. The 'search all' is on the Communications window. If you are using Vista then you will probably need to run Micro/WIN at administrator level.

Bryan

s7- com set up.

I got it.Dips 1&5 need to set to 1.This is how the cable came shipped but the company we bought it from told me to set them all to 0.The Siemens forum explained how.Thanks guys.

Vista, Vista, Vista, Vista, Vista, Vista, Vista, Vista. I also often 'pass wind' in public (I was going to use the F*rt word by the system won't let me), though I do tend to wait until I am passing by a loud machine, now that takes some buttock control. :D

To be honest I don't see what the fuss is about with Vista, it is just another Microsoft operating system, though admittedly overpriced.

Bryan