S7 300 Backplane

Since the code you wrote can actually be written like this,

code:--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
UN DB5.DBX0.0
= DB6.DBX0.0
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The code came from an earlier version of the program, which was a bit more complicated. After having unexpected (and still unexplained) problems, I decided to go right back to basics and make it as simple as possible by chopping everything that could be considered superfluous and in the process didn't bother to change the coding (more correctly, didn't think about it!).

There are no hardware errors in the CPU or in the two FM352-5s where the two parts of the test program are running (the demo prog on one and my one liner on the other). However, the third FM has the MMC that got screwed up in a previous thread, so it has an error. I tried just knocking it out of hardware config, but unfortunately it's in the middle of the bus, so not surprisingly that didn't work.

Nearly an hour later...

Finally decided to do the logical thing and remove the CP343 and the 3rd FM352-5 from the bus, as well as knocking them out of HW-config. That didn't take too long, but then after down loading every thing again, suddenly I've got parameterization errors on both FMs! Now obviously I've had to modify the second FM's access a bit because its address has changed, but nothing has changed on the first one. After many retries, compiling, downloading, saving and recompiling in HW-config and then downloading the whole program eventually everything is working fine. Evidently these beasts are extremely sensitive to the slightest change in configuration - anywhere! I suspect I now know where my original problems lay!

Anyway, now, with two FMs and no errors, we've got a cycle time of 10ms with occasional longer cycles of ~13 ms every 20 - 30 ms, so I assume that's due to some internal housekeeping in the CPU. Still seems a bit long to me, considering nothing else was running, but at least it's more reasonable.

So it looks like the error on the third FM was responsible for the excessively long cycle time. In the meantime, the 4 MB MMC for the CPU has turned up, so I can do the firmware update on the CPU and then take the CPU's 128 kB MMC to replace the duff one in the 3rd FM, put everything back together and see what we get then. Actually the 4MB card has just arrived at the right time - the main program has just got to the point where it didn't fit in the 128 kB any more!

I'll report back once I get everything back up and running.

Monitoring online will cause the cycle to increase, if you want the update time connect a scope to the output and check the cycle.

That's how I've been doing my time measurements, but it possibly explains the difference between the measurement and the cycle time shown in the diagnostic panel. Incidentally that difference has also reduced - the diagnostic panel is now showing a cycle time of 11 ms with just occasional drifts to 10 or 12 ms.
Cheers

Roy

Edit: Just thought I'd have a quick look to see what happened to the times in Debug mode (not really expecting to see any significant change) so set the Bit in the VAT to iniate the change - BANG!!! both FMs down with internal fault!

Boy are these things touchy!

Last edited:
BANG!!! both FMs down with internal fault!

I'm slowly learning here!

First off I had my bits the wrong way round and was already running in Debug mode and the change was to normal mode. When you change from Debug to normal, the FM352-5 always goes into STOP regardless of the switch position. You have to manually switch the module off and back on to restart in Normal mode. Not unreasonable really.

What was a little more odd, but after much playing around, I'm now convinced - the STOP condition, for reasons best known to Siemens, generates an internal fault condition - end of panic.

I've got my CPU317-2 DP upgrade through OK - after lots of odd problems - starting with corrupt downloads of the 20+ MB Step7 V5.2 Hotfix 3 file from the Siemens web-site, but that's neither here nor there!

I'm getting further into the FM352-5 but there are still a few oddities happening, but I think it's about time to draw this thread to a close as we've drifted quite a long way from the original title. Since there don't seem to be many people who have had much experience with the FM352-5, I think it would be sensible to discuss it further in a thread of it's own, so that it is easyier for other people to find, should they come looking in the future.

Bye for now!

Roy