S7 - Change MAC address via software

jeilers

Hi all,

I am working on a project where we are using multiple (>30) machines which are each controlled by a S7-300 PLC and equipped with a CP-343. I am trying to use just 1 simatic project, and by using the function block FB55 (IP_CONFIG) i am able to give each machine a different IP address by using software (instead of using the hardware configuration).

I was wondering if i could do the same with the MAC address of the CP-343, since some systems dont access the PLC through IP, but with ISO. Is there a way to change the MAC address via software?

Thanks, Jos....

The MAC address is "burned in" by the chip manufacturer and often cannot be changed. Some PC hardware however does allow you to change it (spoof it) but the PLC is another animal. It will depend on the manufacturer. I suggest you contact the manufacturer and don't be surprised if they tell you that it is not changeable.

Hi,

On the CP-343 the MAC cannot be changed. When you open the lid, just below the stop LED there should be a sticker containing the MAC-address. And if I know my Siemens it should start with: 08 00 06 .....

Jeebs

Well actually Jeebs, you can change the MAC setting on the CP-343, at least it is possible on my version (6GK7 343-1EX21-0XE0 version 1.1)
You can do that in the hardware config, at Properties CP343->General->Interface->Properties->Parameters.

Jos

jeilers is correct, you can change the MAC address via the hardware configuration, I believe that you can change the address of CP343's but you cannot change the MAC address of PN CPU's. Getting back to the original question....

I have not found a way to change the MAC address at runtime, as you know you can change an IP address, this is well documented on the Siemens support site, there is nothing about changing a MAC address.

Paul

You can try using Mac Spoofer 2006 software, it's free, if it works, that's good if not you loose nothing. Actually I used it on many network devices and it worked, with siemens parts I don't Know;