S7micro/win32 vs Step 7

SM,

Well, I guess you have found me out! It's true, I have not done anything with FC's and FB's (although, I don't recall ever claiming that I had done anything with them). So, I reckon I'm a fraud and wouldn't know a PLC if it bit me on the a$$.

I am trying to learn though...

http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?s=&threadid=498

You just always seem pretty quick to dog it- but I dont think you know anything about it.

What exactly is the "it" you are accusing me of dogging and not knowing anything about?

You loaded it into your machine- then whined because it isnt like "everyone elses"

I just don't get what this is supposed to mean and where it's coming from... can you point to something?

Sure- everytime this topic is mentioned, your a broken record. Go look through your posts. If you say something negative- then back it up with something meaningful.

That's what I mean.

OK I gonna throw in my 2 whatevers in here.

Terry is by far one of the most authoriative and willing to share plc programmers on this forum. The EGO follows with the ability, when doesnt it.

NOW SM I an going to point out one simple fact, when you asked Terry if he had programmed S7 he reiterated YES. Everyone knows Terry likes the S7-200, which is an S7 Siemens product BUT it is different from the S7 300/400 series which you are refering to.

I can not claim to understand all the features available with either but I think I understand some of what is being said.

The S7-200 is similar to older plcs but offers more features...its a little powerhouse with advanced programming features in the old format.

The S7-300/400 is an altogether different format but it has some awesome features. What I understand the most is its ability to kind of combine advanced features like STL and Ladder. I may be wrong but it seems that S7-300/400 allows ladder to incorporate STL type instructions. FC (function calls) and FB (function block) can be designed to fit the needs of the programmer but not look that complicated once seen/done.

I may be all wrong but this is how I perceive things. Dont forget y'all I am the tech that likes things simple (dumb down) OR maybe I am the tech that would like to see a plc that can use advanced features in a ladder (graphical/schematic) format that more of us can relate to, which in a way S7 300/400 does. I cant say that S7 300/400 software is intuitive (it takes some getting use to) but if you look at it enough it gets good. I may have had it easier if my documentation hadnt been in German but I have learned to like things about this plc.

Anyway everyone here has their favorite PLC to work with, at this time if a new plc is introduced to my plant I ask for AB. WHY? I am familiar with them and most system integrators can program. Not because I like but from familiarity. Every person and environment is different so we all make choices based thereof.

Normally this is when I would say something like "Opinions are like aholes, everyone has one and they all stink" but we can all understand that everyone has preferences in all things so its not needed.