Save/export RSLogix Designer configuration

timartin1495

Hello everyone!

I am new to PLC programming and am using Studio 5000 to work with AB PLCs.

My company uses VMware to allow me to remotely connect to PLCs from our office. However, the VM instance expires after 2 hours and everything gets reset to the original state. Is there a way that I can make changes to the settings of RSLogix and then export that configuration to my local computer so that I can restore it when I start a clean instance?

I would also love to be able to export the paths to each PLC so I don't need to dig through RSLinx and find the same PLCs over and over after it forgets on a clean instance.

So my vision is that I log into a clean VMware instance, open Studio 5000, and import a configuration from my local computer that will restore it's memory of RSLinx paths and any other configured settings. It's obviously just a matter of convenience, but it'd be great if such a feature exists or could be easily programmed.

Thanks!

The path can be SET and save in Stu5000. RSLinx can also be backed up & restore.

Save the two files to your desktop and copy them back when you are login to a new instance of VM

Thanks for the reply BachPhi!

Unfortunately just saving the project doesn't also save the paths. I have all the projects saved to a network drive and I always open from this drive, so the projects themselves don't get wiped and I don't have to do a clean upload every time.

But even with these project files saved to a network drive I still have to re-define the path every new instance. If I open the project and set the path, it will remain saved for any subsequent times I open the project so long as I'm still in the same instance in VMWare. But as soon as the instance expires and a new one starts, I have to do it all over again. That leads me to believe the paths are stored somewhere locally inside Studio5000, not in project file itself.

Additionally, when I go to "Select Recent Communication Path" it only shows me paths that I've connected to on this specific instance of VMWare. So there is somewhere that is storing these paths locally and is being reset on each new instance. That's what I want to back up.

sCL5UrU.png