scan cycle

I mean the cyclic execution of control programs and routines by the operating system of an industrial programmable logic controller.

Different brands and models of controllers use different operating systems with different features, but in general PLCs execute a control program repetitively every few milliseconds.

If you have a specific question about a specific brand or model of controller, please post more specific information.

In the Programmable Logic Controller domain, scan cycle means the cycle for reading the inputs, scanning the program, and then changing the outputs. Each complete program scan requires some finite time, in the range of 1 to 20 miliseconds depending on the brand and model of PLC and the program complexity.