SCL block calling, S7 Siemens

Daye.04

Hey gang.

I hope I'm not too much of an annoyance for you guys, but I need some more help ^^

I'm more or less just getting started at programming SCL. I thought that since I have som experience programming C++, this would be ideal for me. But there seems there are some key points I just can't wrap my head around like at all.

The current wall I'm meeting is how to call on a FB block from an OB block. This is supposed to be a moot, I know. I just can't seem to get it going ...

Well. I might be dense, or there may be some terminology I just don't understand. Or both. But I just can't seem to figure out where they perform the call, and so how it's done.

From what I could gather the block was called "acquire", but the only thing resembling a call was "acquire.acquire[something](" and that can't be right ...

In the SCL editor, you can chose to insert a block. It can be any block from the project block folder. You browse for the block and it will be inserted at the cursor. The various parameters (and eventual instance data block for an FB) has to be filled out manually.

Allright, so I assume I have to have a Datablock in correlation with the FB in order to call it. Because when I tried using that command, it would not use the FB I allready had (Nr. FB1). And when I permitted it to make another one, nothing but ".DBxxx" came up. I understand that the x'es are to be replaced with the corresponding number of the block I'm referring to, but is that the only commands required to call on a block? a dot and the blocknumber?

Here's a simple example that compiles without using symbols:

Code:
ORGANIZATION_BLOCK OB1
VAR_TEMP
    info : ARRAY[0..19] OF BYTE;
END_VAR
FB1.DB1(iData:=1);
END_ORGANIZATION_BLOCK
FUNCTION_BLOCK FB1
Var_input
iData:INT;
end_var
    idata:=iData+1;
END_FUNCTION_BLOCK
DATA_BLOCK DB1  FB1
BEGIN
END_DATA_BLOCK

Using the following symbol table entries you can use them in the SCL.

(Note that two passes of the compiler are required when you are creating DB's for the first time)

syx.JPG

SCL source:

Code:
ORGANIZATION_BLOCK OB1
VAR_TEMP
END_VAR
ACQUIRE.ACQUIRE_DATA(iData:=1);
END_ORGANIZATION_BLOCK
FUNCTION_BLOCK ACQUIRE
VAR_INPUT
iData:INT;
end_var
    idata:=iData+1;
END_FUNCTION_BLOCK
DATA_BLOCK ACQUIRE_DATA  ACQUIRE
BEGIN
END_DATA_BLOCK

Different example:

Code:
ORGANIZATION_BLOCK OB1
VAR_TEMP
    rResultOfSquareRoot:REAL;
END_VAR
FB5.DB5(rANumber:=4.0);
rResultOfSquareRoot:=DB5.rSqrt;
END_ORGANIZATION_BLOCK
FUNCTION_BLOCK FB5
VAR_INPUT
rANumber:REAL;
END_VAR
VAR_OUTPUT
rSqrt:REAL;
end_var
    rSqrt:=SQRT(rANumber);
END_FUNCTION_BLOCK
DATA_BLOCK DB5  FB5
BEGIN
END_DATA_BLOCK

For FBs with IDBs, you have to have assigned the symbolic names before you use the FBs or IDBs. One way to do it is to select the SCL option "assign block numbers automatically".
Also, the order of the compilation is important.
First the declarations (i.e. UDTs and FBs) and then the blocks that are defined by the declarations (derived UDTs or FBs, and IDBs), and so forth, ending with OB1.

Here is a small sample how to do it in SCL:
Code:
(* sample FB
*)
FUNCTION_BLOCK MyFB
VAR_INPUT
  start_button : BOOL ; // N.O.
  stop_button : BOOL ; // N.C.
END_VAR
VAR_OUTPUT
  contactor : BOOL ;
END_VAR