Scope Trace Data

ahuberee

I want to be able to set a scope type device up that will buffer the trace and allow me to pull it (or a downsampled version of it). Preferably an interface that I can query trace data within a PLC (modbus?), or if it could dump data into a datablock within a PLC (OPC?). I cannot simply use an analog input because data I'm capturing is uS by uS.

Anyone ever see a scope that can do this?

May not be a lot of help to you, but a couple of jobs ago I worked with a system that had a Windows PC running a custom program developed using LabWindows (from National Instruments, basically a C version of LabView). The program connected to a bench-top o-scope via GPIB. It grabbed the trace and stored it locally, then generated a report on the network. There are other free applications (like AdvancedHMI) that could then grab that data and write it to the PLC if you wanted. I don't remember its sample rate, but we used it to test BLDC motors running at a moderate speed, so it was pretty fast. As I think about it, it was probably the o-scope itself that saved the data that was then read out via GPIB. Getting μs samples will be challenging for normal industrial control devices,but you could look at National Instruments' offerings. I know they have DAQ modules that may do what you want.

https://www.trsrentelco.com/services/renting-leasing

I did a scope rental and did a datalog the data onto a usb stick you can stick into on these rental scopes. They ship to your address and you just return the rental when done.

Just make sure you send it back with insurance, scopes are expensive, and those shipping firms are rough on packages.

I think below is a link on a firm i rented from before:
https://www.trsrentelco.com/services/renting-leasing

Okay, I need to use the scope traces in real-time to make adjustments to signals which modify the feedback. Hence the interface requirements. Thanks though.

May not be a lot of help to you, but a couple of jobs ago I worked with a system that had a Windows PC running a custom program developed using LabWindows (from National Instruments, basically a C version of LabView). The program connected to a bench-top o-scope via GPIB. It grabbed the trace and stored it locally, then generated a report on the network. There are other free applications (like AdvancedHMI) that could then grab that data and write it to the PLC if you wanted. I don't remember its sample rate, but we used it to test BLDC motors running at a moderate speed, so it was pretty fast. As I think about it, it was probably the o-scope itself that saved the data that was then read out via GPIB. Getting μs samples will be challenging for normal industrial control devices,but you could look at National Instruments' offerings. I know they have DAQ modules that may do what you want.

This is all useful. I will look into it. Thank you!

What you describe is typical of the "Test and Measurement" market, which only narrowly intersects the process and discrete markets.

I echo the suggestion to look at National Instruments and even consider using whatever software (Labview at one time) that they offer that might well be programmable to do the whole test procedure.