Sending an Alarm notification.

Elcan

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hello all,
This is the situation. My system consists in a Allen Bradley CompactLogix PLC and a G310 Red Lion HMI.
I need to send a notification when alarm condition occurs.
This notification can be an e-mail, SMS, phone call, etc., any of them is OK and there's no preference.
I can connect to the plant LAN if necessary, and also buying a modem is not a problem.
What do you think is the best solution to send a notification in this case?
I've seen a lot of options around and, since I have no experience, I don't know how to approach this topic.

Thank you!

I guess I don't know what your confusion is ? All of these are viable options that you can use for alarming, or just about any other instance that you dictate. What works best for your application ? Is the alarm going to Maintenance, Plant Engineering or ?

I guess I don't know what your confusion is ? All of these are viable options that you can use for alarming, or just about any other instance that you dictate. What works best for your application ? Is the alarm going to Maintenance, Plant Engineering or ?
I'm overwhelmed with all the options and I would like to hear about other people's experiences. I don't have much limitations on what I could use, so this does not narrow down the alternatives.
In this case, there won't be people in the plant during the weekends and they want to receive a notification if a motor stops, so somebody has to go and take care of it.

Last edited:
Being overwhelmed with options is a good problem to have. Knowing nothing about your process, It would depend, atleast in part , on your network architecture. Worst case scenario sounds like you've already explored a modem to get a POTS line, with that in mind I'd probably go both SMS text and Email if your lan would allow such a message from the network where your IO/HMI lives.

Last edited:
My first idea was to send an e-mail using the Red Lion HMI, since my control panel can be connected to the plant LAN. But it seems that I would have to use a service like AuthSMTP for a fee.
I could also add the G3GSM Cellular Modem Option Card to the HMI and send text messages.
There are also industrial routers like ***** and Moxa.
I also read about ProTalk, Raco, etc.

As I said, there are so many options...
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

Last edited: