Sending an alarm message to email or cell phone?

click start, run "cmd", type "ping smtp.YOURCOMPANYNAMEORIPADDRESS.com" enter

The reply should be from the SMTP server address. This is the address you should plug into the MSG instruction in Logix5000 to get the emails you are trying for.

We use MSG instructions from 3 separate PLC's to email production counts and line downtime each day at the end of shift. I can also put you on the link to some sample programs from AB if you'd like.

click start, run "cmd", type "ping smtp.YOURCOMPANYNAMEORIPADDRESS.com" enter

The reply should be from the SMTP server address. This is the address you should plug into the MSG instruction in Logix5000 to get the emails you are trying for.
Not necessarily, there could be and hopefully WOULD be routers and NAT between the PLC's and the SMTP server so the IP returned from that query might not work.
Furthermore unless the SMTP server is configured as an open relay, IT will have to allow that PLC access to be able to relay email.
All this is easily accomplished by involving the IT dept. but you can test it using telnet

from a command prompt on the same subnet as the PLC:
type telnet
type open IP.address.returned.from.your.ping 25

you should see a banner describing what you connected to.
if you get an EHLO or HELO response you have found the mail server and further testing can be done to see if you are an open relay or not.

But if his PLC is already on the plant network so that he can connect on wireless or from his desk the ip address of the PLC should already be allowed from the IT dept.

I didn't see on this thread where he said that he was able to do any of that. He said he had a controller with the capability, but thats all I saw.

But even if we assume that he can do all that with his laptop and desktop, it still doesn't mean that the PLC can. Most plants I am aware of (and EVERY plant should) isolate the process network from the business network and only make provisions for specific identified pieces of equipment and only on an as needed basis. aka whitelisting.

If he is able to telnet to the port of the email server by default,and IT is not aware that he can, he most likely has many other holes in the network perimeter that will someday bite him. A business network is far more open than a process network should ever be so if he can't, IT may still be able to help.

The telnet test will only partially confirm if this is an issue either way. Since you can't run telnet from the controller you cant test it to the endpoint so if his laptop works and the PLC doesn't, the security is likely to be Layer2 based and there still would be an IT solution possible.

i tried to add a gateway to the controller but it wanted me to change the IP address as well. do i have to do this too?

ok set that up but now when i toggle to either set smtp server or send email, my MSG instruction doesn't enable or anything. any ideas?