Sending information in a compactlogix processor to your email?

ldrewes

We have a compactlogix L32E processor which is on our ethernet. There is a certain counter in the programming which would be nice to be updated on the status of this counter while not at work. Is there any way to send a simple status message from the processor to an email address at regular intervals? Thanks for any help

yes but not 100% sure on the processor. You can find that info on www.ab.com through the knowledgebase. Just reg and search for E-mail. I've done it through Controllogix but not compact but I seem to remember it being capable.

I know you will also need your IT department to give you access to a mail server so you can send it through there system. It was all detailed in there manual that I found. Just dont have the exact link. If you cant find it let me know and I can see if I cant dig it up somewhere. I'm sure I have it in my stash.

Chris S
Thanks, i'm having a little trouble finding the right information. My processor is a 1769-L32E with a built in ethernet port and can access the controller with a web based browser, and am using Ethernet/IP driver. I'll try to keep looking for more info, any other advice or links you could give me i would be very grateful.

http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/um/enet-um001_-en-p.pdf

Thats the link to the manual. It starts on Page 71. Looks like from a quick glance you will need a 1756-ENBT. This means you will need a contrologix somewhere on your network to actually send the mail.

The only otherway which I dont think this is what your looking for but its another trick you can use. Is type in the IP of the processor and I think you might be able to browse your tag listing and look at it that way. But obviously not from home unless you can tunnel into your network through VPN or something along those lines. But read enough into it and it might have a solution for you.

BTW I think you will have to use a produced tag and consumed tag to transfer the tag you want to watch from home. This is because all the E-mail program looks like it has to reside on the Contrologix in order to actually do the mailing. Also be aware you can send a txt message to your phone aswell. This was the original use for the program I worked on for this e-mail stuff.

Basically you can get intructions on how to send an e-mail to a phone through the provider your using. Usually through the website. Just find out where they provide a link to send a message to your phone and it should pop-up some kind of mail editor with the e-mail address of that phone. Another little trick I found out while bashing my head against the table on that project.

Hope this helps a bit.

Not just 1756-ENBT

That's the right manual. Look up at the very beginning of Chapter 6; the e-mail function is supported by the 1756-ENBT, 1769-L32E and -L35E, 1768-ENBT, and 1788-ENBT.

The only Logix-family controllers and interfaces that doesn't cover is decade-old 1756-ENET modules, the 1761-Net-ENI serial interface, and the SoftLogix.

The hardest part of making this work, in my experience, is getting network access to an SMTP server. My office, for example, blocks POP3 and SMTP access to all e-mail servers except our own.

yup wasnt sure about the compact logix and I couldnt find it on the manual saying it would but I thought I read ti soemwhere it would work but couldnt find it. Thanks Ken

Your absolutly correct about the getting access thing. IT seems to hate that idea at times. This is why its good to play nice with your local IT guy/gal. :)

Okay guys thanks a lot for the help. I'll look at that information and see what i can do. Then of course as you mentioned the next step is getting the IT dept on my side. Thanks again