Serial to Ethernet for wireless connection to S7-315 2DP

HenkieD

Hi All,

Has any of you ever used a PC Adapter (Simatic MPI) in combination with one of those serial to ethernet converters like the iwifi or the one from moxa, N-port.

The supplier of the last told me that the software that comes with it, creates a virtual com port, which you select in your application (PG/PC interface), has anybody tried this before?

I am still convinced that you either use one and you setup the PG/PC interface for TCP/IP, or you use two (serial to ethernet - ethernet to serial), but I might be wrong.

The reason is that I have to commission a plant and it would be extremely handy for me if I could access the plc wireless to see what happens in the field, also for working conditions (hot like hell) would this be a big bonus.

Your input is much appreciated
Henk

The supplier is correct.

I have experience with the moxa n-port converters. When configuring the n-port you can create a virtual com port. In simatic pg/pc interface you use the driver for the cable you have and connect it to the virtual serial port.

Be carefull with forces, because when your wifi connection gets lost, you cannot anymore control your forces.