Servos & Steppers.

With That Slow Of Speed Consider Gearing, Even The Small Motor In A Cordless Drill Has A Lot Of Torque In A Very Small Package. Try Maxor Motor. Good Luck

tutichip said:
"I get so tired of being corrected for something that does not require correcting"

With the greatest respect , short of holding a survey , I can guarantee that if you ask 100 engineers to define 12,345 nm or 12.345 nm , that 99 (that is 99.000 , not 99,000 ) of them will define the comma delimiter as indicating thousands , and the point delimiter as indicating a decimal fraction .
Its something that can be argued about all night , but if you don't want mistakes , use a ".".
Hold all the surveys you want...I can show a few facts:
SI writing styles:
Spaces should be used to group decimal digits in threes, e.g. 1 000 000 or 342 142 (in contrast to the commas or dots used in other systems, e.g. 1,000,000 or 1.000.000).
<LI>In English, the decimal point should be written as the full stop, i.e. the number "twenty four point five one" would be written as "24.51". (This was introduced by the CIPM in 1997). In all other languages, the comma is used instead, (i.e. "24,51").
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SI
Decimal Separator http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decimal_separator:
The decimal separator is a symbol used to mark the boundary between the integer and the fractional parts of a decimal numeral.
SI style: 1 234 567.89 (dot countries) or 1 234 567,89 (comma countries)
In France, the Netherlands, and much of Latin Europe: 1 234 567,89
In Germany, Romania and much of Europe: 1 234 567,89 or 1.234.567,89 (in handwriting you may also come across 1·234·567,89)

As a further example I will use an Yaskawa German technical manual as an example. Please take the time to download this pdf and look at the numeric values and what is used as the decimal separator: ftp://ftp.yaskawa.de/Public/PDF_Technical_Documentation/Motion&Control/SigmaI_Series/SGDB/
The one titled Deutsch_Baureihe_SGDB(YEG-TSG-S800-16).zip is the one I am refering too.

English speaking countries normally use dots (.) but other countries may use commas (,) and that is a fact.

Mike I never followed it that close but because of another conversation I did find a report on it, from what I read in Appendix B page 13 the calculations were given in lb-sec instead of Newton-sec. I dont see anything specific about a comma or decimal, just that the numbers were off 4.45 to 1 which is the conversion rate from Newton to pounds. http://mars.jpl.nasa.gov/msp98/misc/MCO_MIB_Report.pdf

Not quite sure of the point you are trying to make , by definition , you live in the US , therefore , it would make sense that you follow US convention , and more importantly:-
"In English, the decimal point should be written as the full stop" ; since the post was written in English , and this forum is generally in English (with a few exceptions) it again would make sense to follow the normal convention .
It would be fair to state that in Zanzibar , at 12-00 noon , if you ask a local guy the time , he will tell you "6 o'clock" , because the "local custom" is to account the hours from first light , but I think you will agree that has absolutely no relevence to EST .
Maybe you aspire to be a German , and thus embrace its numeric system , I personally would not have bothered looking for a book in say Lesser Outer Mongolian , in order to try to make a point .
I find the analogy of a Japanese manual translated into German ,ook s sublime to say the least , from recollection , Omron manuals translated into English took some understanding.

Interestingly from the links you posted , I took one , on France , that refered to GDP , and GNI which was "$29,320" , what do you suppose that means ? slightly over USD $29 , or slightly over $29 thousand ? In fact you whole Wikipedia article follows the normally expected numeric format , not something once used in a small village in the foothills of the Andies.

QED

I see Fred is back.

Believe as you wish.

For those that care, situations will arise where a dot (.) or comma (,) may be interchanged, it never hurts to be aware of this.

Why do you say that ?

I am quite aware of what is right and what is wrong , and what may be marginal ( I also know when to give up )
All ist klar - in Zanzibar.

Whatever happens , don't let Mrs Doran cook recipes according to your standard , you will have enough for the whole of the US.

Last edited:
Erzahl mir keine marchen .Ich Kann mir kein Ratsel leisten .

Ich verstehe nicht , worauf Sie hinauswollen.

Sorry about the umlauts , but I can't change this keyboard .

I'm afraid the old german ain't up to much , I have only learnt a little swiss-german for work - and it is more than a little rusty.

We can try some other languages if you wish ?
A friend of mine is ever so clever with the old german , he teaches at one of the universities just outside Austin , he has translated and analysed the works of Neitsche ( though I don't know why)

If I do buy one , I'll be sure to put a hole in the bottom of it , just for you .

So you want to get technical

40,474 nm or NM or pink elephants is not the same as 40.674 nm NM PE
40,474 nm = 40.474 nano meters in Europe
40.674 NM = 40.674 Newton Mega in USA
40.674 Nm = 40,674 Nm = 40.674 Newton meters

Ich verstehe nicht , worauf Sie hinauswollen.

This statement is YOU, vulgar and unnecessary.

Cry all you want, it will never make you a good person.
One day you may obtain some friends and knowledge, for you both will take alot of time and effort.

I pity you.

I see you take a little criticism very well .

You will do well to remember that others have a right to an opinion , whether you consider it right or wrong .
There are other people in the world , not just RSD Inc.

Friends ? true ones one the fingers of one hand , and that is fulfilled . Knowledge ? if a am a fool , why bother to degrade yourself ?

Whatever you may say , you are very aggressive in your reply , if you chose to make this observation , you would , bu because another Engineer does ( and I am an Engineer , and may call myself this) , particularly one who you clearly don't like .
For what it is worth , should you choose to be obtuse in a foreign language , it is best to ensure that you understand what you say , that or stick to english .
You will get a little respect if you show it without being so aggressive.

With that I bid you Au Revoir .
IP address 218.23.143.85 - ( make it easier for you to ban those who don't agree)

Just my 2.000 cents worth ( not 2,000 cents worth)

Perhaps the pair of you should refrain from posting to the same thread for a while? Or perhaps make your own thread to argue on?

I would normally keep my nose out of this, but you're both acting well below the high standards you set for yourselves.

Ich verstehe nicht , worauf Sie hinauswollen

I thought that this would translate "I don't understand, where are you going with this"

Am I wrong?

Hey Tutichip, Ron has been a valuable member of this forum for a long time. You come along and start picking beef with him.
Is Jakarta that boring?

I'll give one last reply before I hang up the programming cable for the last time .1) you are not wrong - therefore one of the dangers in trying to post in a language that you are not fluent - there is too much room for misinterpretation - QED again.

2)I am quite aware of RSD's prowess in your forum , and for that all credit - HOWEVER , isn't it in the interest of the forum to make someone aware of a mistake or possible misinterpretation ? Throwing your toys out is not the way mature individuals express themselves , whether they are right or wrong .

3) I don't have a canoo or indeed any other boat

4) What is this bit "This statement is YOU, vulgar and unnecessary. " - now who is being rude ? OK let it be .

5) Jakarta is not in the least bit boring , though the sleuths in forum management know I am in Bengbu , Anhui province right now .

6) There is nothing wrong with being pedantic and correct , as you reminded me , the units were wrong , I don't jump down your throat , because you are correct in this . I also don't spend hours on the net trying to find a lost tribe of yak herdsmen who use Ma for milliamp ( back to life isn't that boring)

7) Since I have been slated and told I have no knowledge , then it is pointless helping anyone by posting here - I try to give good advice albeit slightly acidly from time to time -

I'll leave it up to you guys , you know best .