Set Default Value\Initialize String in Cscape

bobgarbados

I have experience programming with languages like C++ but I am completely new to the world of PLCs. I have an existing application in Cscape and I am trying to change the default value or initialization of a string stored in memory. Can anyone help me understand how to accomplish this? I can provide more information if it would be helpful.

I know this is a pretty basic task but I am having a hard time finding valuable learning resources for Cscape.

I believe the correct terminology for what I am trying to do is set the default value of an internal I/O point. It is defined as %R##### and is a 9 bit ascii field.

I believe the correct terminology for what I am trying to do is set the default value of an internal I/O point. It is defined as %R##### and is a 9 bit ascii field.
Upon power up this will initialize your string to a default value.
(Fisrt Scan).
Fill in the "Source" register and "Destination" register.
Input the data manually to the source register and it'll hold forever unless you change the contents at some point.
Hope this helps.

cScape_String.jpg

Thanks for your reply, that's where I would expect the values to be initialized. It turns out that the value is empty until a user sets the value manually in the program and then the value is pulled from memory on any following power-ons.

Hard code the initial value.
Even if the user doesn't enter a value, your code should take care of it.
Use a MOVE on First scan to initialize the Register with the hard coded initial value IF the value is "0000" or whatever that may be in a text string.

I spoke to the original programmer and this is actually working as designed. The system consists of four recipes and the field I was looking at is for storing the name of the first recipe. We force the users to set up their recipes and name them the first time they run the system.