setting alarms panelview plus

What exactly do you want help with ?

FactoryTalk View ME Alarming uses "trigger" tags which are typically addressed to one or more words of a PLC data table.

the data file starts at bit b50/17 and is 400 bits long

In Allen-Bradley nomenclature, Binary and Integer data file syntax is

Bxx:yy/zz

Where the data type is B for Binary and N for Integer
xx = Data File number
yy = 16-bit Word number of the data file in decimal
zz = Bit number of each Word, in decimal

With the PLC-5 and SLC-500, you can be a little informal with words and bits, which I don't like because it's confusing. I would have to experiment to be sure that FactoryTalk View ME accepts the informal omission of the Word number, and lets you start a bit array anywhere.

"B50/17" might really be "B50:17" which would start the data array at the 18th word of data file B50.

Or it might really be "B50/17", where each word has 16 bits starting at zero. That would mean "B50/17" is equivalent to "B50:01/01".

To make things a little more confusing, PLC-5 I/O data tables are addressed in octal, while PLC-5 internal data memory is addressed in decimal. So "bit 17" in an Input data table is different from "bit 17" in an Integer or Binary data table.

All this is unnecessary diversion until we know what you actual question and configuration are. Detailed descriptions and even screenshots would be great.

So post the exact and complete Alarm Trigger configuration address.

I tried a trigger tag as the following tag setting of decimal b50/17, L400
alarm setting =bit ,trigger value 17-400 but alarms fail to trigger
I am converting an old 1400e to panelview plus an the alam tag was b50/16 ,tag was setup as a block with a lenght of 400 need similar tag for panelview plus to handle 400 alarms

Last edited:
Can you get screenshots of the original configuration and the current FactoryTalk View Alarm Configuration ? You might have to Edit the Alarm Trigger and show the Expression to show the whole thing.

I know how a Word address and a Length would work, but I don't know for sure how a Bit address and a Length would work.

It's uncommon to specify blocks of data by bit length.

Maybe a quick workaround would be to make the Alarm Trigger "B50:0" and consider the first Alarm to be value 17.

I always have to test out my alarming when using Bit type triggers... the offset of 1 between the bit number and the Alarm number always trips me up.

Is the new PanelView still talking to the original PLC-5 controller ? What network are you using ?

Maybe the FactoryTalk View ME application considers the "L400" to mean 400 words and your PLC-5 data table isn't that long. You should get an error message in the FactoryTalk Diagnostics log if the PanelView cannot read that data file.