Sever Busy

wsptay

I am currently having trouble getting on rslogix 5 programs, these are data highway processors. I keep getting a sever busy and asking me to switch to another program. Could anyone help out with this. Could this be a licensing issues?

I used to get those messages too. Rockwell has a fix.

They say you need to delete the Harmony files. To do this, make sure RSLinx is closed and not running as a service. If you see it in the Windows service tray then it is running as a service.

Go to the correct folder

For 32-bit Windows
C:\Program Files\Rockwell Software\RSCommon

For 64-bit Windows
C:\Program Files (x86)\Rockwell Software\RSCommon

Delete only these two files:
Harmony.hrc
Harmony.rsh

If you cannot delete them then RSLinx is still running or running as a service. If you only have one of those, delete the one.

After that, reboot. These two files will get recreated next time you launch RSLinx.

OG

Sever busy

Okay I did all that and these two images are what is coming up. And when i go to browse for a file it cannot find the rsp for some reason.

Sever Busy.PNG browse.jpg

Are you still getting that Server Busy message?

The PLC has a program loaded in it. The RSLogix5 software is looking for a matching program file on your computer. That matching file would contain all the descriptions and comments for your PLC program.

RSLogix 5 will only look in one specific folder for that matching file. If that file is located in some other folder then it will display that screen you uploaded. Click on the Browse button and navigate to the folder where the matching file is located.

If there is no matching file, you can select Create New and RSLogix will upload the program from the PLC. However, there will not be any comments or descriptors. So, we would prefer to browse to the actual matching file if possible.

OG

Yes, when I browse to my file location and click okay it doesn't find the matching file. I can upload and go online just fine but I no verbiage. What is weird this morning when I got in I did a download and got online with verbiage, then i went back offline and then tried to go right back on and it had the sever busy message again.

I am not a big fan of upgrading software just because there is a new version. But RSLinx, I always keep that up to date with the latest version. It is a free download. Version 4.21 is the current version as of today's date.

https://compatibility.rockwellautomation.com/Pages/MultiProductDownload.aspx?Keyword=Free&crumb=112

You would need to sign in or create a free account to download it. Hopefully, that will resolve the Server Busy message. If you are using an older version of Windows (like XP) upgrading RSLinx might not be possible. It officially supports Windows 10 and various server products. But I would imagine it works on Windows 7 too.

Let's take a look at the scenario you described for a second.

1. You opened a file on your PC and downloaded that file to your PLC. After downloading you went online.
  2. You went offline
  3. Then you tried to go back online, and it failed to find the matching file.

Here is the catch with #3...when you attempt to go online, RSLogix 5 ignores whatever file you have open. You might as well not have any file open. It again only looks in that one specific project folder and if it does not find the matching file, it pops up that window. You'll notice that the project you had open is now closed.

If your project is not in that one specific folder you will need to browse each time. They resolved this issue with the newer PLC platforms, but it remains for the PLC-5 software.

OG

Last edited: