SEW Motor German Nameplate..

Rippey574

I have a German nameplate for a sew dc motor..
Can some one translate this for me?

I have little DC motor experience to. I can not tell if this a series or shunt winding. I can tell you there are only 4 wires in the box, but sew was kind enough to just use a 3 phase terminals and stamped box so it gives no valuable information.

I suspect this motor to have failed, I am trying to confirm it and get a modern replacement ordered, but I am lacking the details, and the equipment is from 1989...yay

sew.jpg

Va = voltage on armature
Aa = amps on armature, at full load, full speed,
Vf = voltage on field
Af = amps on field, at full field
r/min = base(full) speed (RPM)
Vb = NO CLUE

It is shunt wound...the four wires you have are A1-A2-F1-F2
A1-A2 should be low resistance, 0.1 to 4.0
F1-F2 should be higher resistance, 20 - 300

Thank you for the quick reply. I used the drive to energize the field, and I found on the armature has a near perfect half voltage of the field, regardless of which leg I probe and which field wire I reference. If I also connect the armature and apply power it will blow the fuse instantly.

I did have to repair the old drive, the diodes for the field had half failed. I suspect one or the other is the cause and effect.

Thank you for the quick reply. I used the drive to energize the field, and I found on the armature has a near perfect half voltage of the field, regardless of which leg I probe and which field wire I reference. If I also connect the armature and apply power it will blow the fuse instantly.

I did have to repair the old drive, the diodes for the field had half failed. I suspect one or the other is the cause and effect.

You might want to Google "FIELD LOSS" and "CEMF" prior to 'experimenting' with a live motor.

You might want to Google "FIELD LOSS" and "CEMF" prior to 'experimenting' with a live motor.

Thanks for the suggestions, I am familiar with cemf and electrical induction with rotating and static fields and mass.

Please allow to me translate what jdbrandt is saying.

When you apply armature voltage to a DC motor when there is no active field the armature current will rise to destructive levels very quickly, aka blow a fuse.

Just because there is field voltage does not mean there is field current!

Ah thanks for the translation! It was the field fuses blowing, it failed 250v mega check to shell. With a whopping 25v. They are just upgrading it to a traditional 3 phase sew.