Share Point`

celichi

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone is using SharePoint and OneDrive for...

Doc Control and distribution
Software Revision Control and distribution
Punch List Control and distribution.

I am tired of using email and a data server.

Thanks,

Paul

I have not set anything up myself. But...I worked on a large Delta-V project a few years ago and Emerson had a SharePoint setup for the project (lasted roughly 2 years). All documentation was handled through it. I liked it. Easy to exchange large files. No worries about missing someone on an email list.
All users got notification when something new was posted.

Sharepoint, like any other tool, need care to function well. It's a very good product for group collaboration and file-management, IMO. However, often, people just create a site then walk away from it in which case it's no better than a network drive folder.

I would echo other comments that it is a great tool but does need careful management like anything else. From my experience, it needs buy in from above and below or the cats wander off and play with a ball of string somewhere else which results in chaos.

If you can clearly define how it is to be used in advance it will be easier to police. My advice is to define a structure in advance outlining what information belongs where and naming conventions for documents.

Good luck!

Nick