shut down light flashes

DT, the LCD (Liquid Crystal Display) is a local display option for the DL-06. You can simply delete the last two lines 29 and 30 of my program, and you are good to go.
The LCD instruction is used to write a specified text string to the DL06 LCD Display Panel. Other features include an option to write from V-memory to the LCD Display, embedded V-memory values with a display string, and _Date and _Time options for U.S., European, and Asian date formats, and 12hour and 24hour time formats.

When enabled, the LCD instruction causes a user-defined text message to be displayed on the LCD Display Panel. The display is 16 characters wide by 2 rows high so a total of 32 characters can be displayed. Each row is addressed separately; the maximum number of characters the instruction will accept is 16.
My program logic is simple.
1. When an alarm occurs, two numbers that represent the number of 2-digit flashes for THAT alarm, are saved to V2001 and V2002.
2. Then the alarm light is triggered ON/OFF until Counter CT0 = V2001. The OFF time is set by Timer T15, and the ON time is set by Timer T16 on Rung 20.
3. Then there is a pause of 2 seconds between digits, then the alarm light is triggered ON/OFF until Counter CT1 = V2002.
4. Then there is a pause of 5 seconds between alarm codes, controlled by Timer T22 on Rung 26.
5. When the Acknowledge button is pressed, the counters are reset and you are ready for the next alarm.

The "best" numbers are like 11 to 15, 21 to 24, 31 to 34.

Bruce, It is true that operators have trouble remembering the flash codes. However, I think it provides more information than simply having a flashing red light. When I used this, it was for low-budget panels with only 1 alarm light. The boss said give them 1 blinking light for all of the alarms. I asked myself, What can I do with one blinking light?

I made up a chart that was attached to the control panel, listing the alarm names and the flash codes. It was a real asset to the maintenace guys. Instead of having a light and horn that says, "hey, you got an alarm", now you have a light that says, "hey, you got an alarm on No. 2 Widget Former Thingabob Input". So it takes a little effort to figure it out. I never had any complaints about that, but I did get thanks for giving them SOMETHING to use for troubleshooting.

This program was written years ago, when it cost thousands of dollars to put in a text or graphics panel. It is not suitable for a complex machine. Also, now it is pretty cheap to put in a display panel that exactly identifies the alarms.

Last edited:
Lancie1 said:
This program was written years ago, when it cost thousands of dollars to put in a text or graphics panel. It is not suitable for a complex machine. Also, now it is pretty cheap to put in a display panel that exactly identifies the alarms.

You can get very inexpensive 3"-6" micro operator interfaces for under $200. I would think that would be money well spent and would probably payoff in the long run. Not to mention that you can do much more with a graphic or text panel besides just alarms. Something the OP might want to consider.