Siemens/ASI help

DLMUK

Hi,

I have a customer who would like to add four of our analogue load cells (0-50mV output range) to their ASI network. The customer I don't think supplies the ASI components, another company sets up the controls.

I have never done anything with ASI before, I understand the basics but am after a bit more help.

1) Are ASI components compatible cross manufacturers like RS485? I.e. can I have a Siemens I/O block communicating with a bihl master? Or similar.

2) Looking on TIA portal under the Field Devices there is a whole array of options. What I would like to do ideally is plug my load cells into a PLC to store calibration and other items etc, and then provide an ASI output to a master PLC.

Any help would be great - thanks!

I am not an ASI master, but I know a bit.
1) Are ASI components compatible cross manufacturers like RS485? I.e. can I have a Siemens I/O block communicating with a bihl master? Or similar.
Yes.
2) Looking on TIA portal under the Field Devices there is a whole array of options. What I would like to do ideally is plug my load cells into a PLC to store calibration and other items etc, and then provide an ASI output to a master PLC.
This is not clearly formulated.
It is not described who is the ASI master, your PLC or the master PLC.
Do you intend to provide an output on the ASI-bus for the master to read as an analog signal. I.e. a 4-20 mA signal. That should be doable. But does not make much sense to go via ASI to achieve that.
Or do you intend to provide a signal that the master can read via an ASI analog input. That is doable, you dont even need a PLC. Any loadcell converter that can output 4-20mA can do that.
Or do you intend to create a data transfer over the ASI bus from one CPU to another CPU ? That is not possible. ASI is not a multi-master bus.

Last edited:
Reading this again, I think you want to find a loadcell module that is an ASI slave.
As far as I know there is no such thing, at least not from Siemens. ASI slave types are relatively few. Mostly digital i/o and analog as Pt100 or 4-20mA.