Siemens CP341 - Multilin Modbus Connecting Cable

antonbh

Hi guys,

I have a Siemens CP341-RS422/485 module and I am trying to establish MODBUS communication to a series of Multilin269 / 469 protection relays.

To keep things simple, as the moment I am simply trying to connect to one Multilin269+. I receive the error message 0x8030, which indicates I am getting no reply from the Modbus slave.

Could someone please tell me the correct way to wire the D-Sub-15 Plug from the CP341 to the Multilin?

I believe this is where the problem lies as I have checked that the Modbus parameters match, the slave address exists and the reply monitoring time is 2s, which should be more than enough for a simple 'Read Actual Values' Modbus command.

The Multilin has 3 terminals for RS-485: 46(-), 47(+) and 88 (shield). Do I simply connect Pin 4 R(A)- to terminal 46 and Pin 11 R(B)+ to terminal 47? What about pins 2 and 11 on the CP341? And pin8 (ground)?

I have tried swapping the the pins 4 and 11 but still no luck.

The code 'appears' to be working - I get a brief flash on the Tx LED every 2 seconds, which is the PtP reply timeout configured in the CP-341. The Modbus message appears to be constructed correctly. I have actually used the same message to communicate with a SEPAM80, but from a CP-441-2.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Anton

Hi there,

I am not firmilliar with your equipment, but have some experience with Modbus over RS485. A RS485 network will need termination resistors at both ends of the network. The resistors should match the impedance of the cable, usually around 120 Ohms. If you still have problems on the network, you may also need pull-up/down resistor. I have used 470 Ohm in the enclosed picture.

Maxim has more information at:
http://www.maxim-ic.com/app-notes/index.mvp/id/763

Best regards
Pat
([email protected])

RS485.JPG