Siemens Graph 5 troubleshooting help.

stevelawson

Hello all.
I have a machine that is stopping at the same Step 4 on a regular basis. However, the machine doesn't actually go into a fault condition(no Beacon). I think that it is just waiting on Transition 4 to be satisfied before moving onto Step 5. The problem I have, is when checking all the relevant Inputs everything appears to be satisfied. I also have difficulty in Statusing the relevant Step/Transitions, because it nearly always says that the Step/Transition Status is inactive. I think that this because as the programme schrolls through the Steps, only the one being processed at any moment in time is active. I also have difficulty in understanding how the enable pseudo Flag F233.0 operates. When tracing Flags back in the programme I always end up trying to work out what sets this Flag and why all problems seem to depend upon setting this Flag?

Any help/advice would be appreciated.

Steve.

Last edited:
Hi Kalle.
Sorry, for not including the Code. I did actually start to edit my Post with the inclusion of the Code but unfortunately it timed out before I could finish and I lost the Lot. I couldn't be bothered starting again, sorry.
Today my Gaffa found some additional Documentation which included Fault Flagwords for each of the Machine Sations. This guided us towards the 4 Pallet Clamping Cylinders on Station 6. Whilst viewing the Inputs in Status Variable What was happening was, when the Cylinders extend, for a brief moment 1 of them had both extended and retracted Inputs on at the same time before settling. I adjusted all 8 of the Sensors so that they only came on at the extremity's of the stroke. These Cylinders have a very short stroke and the difference between the Extended Sensor and retracted Sensor being made is minimal. I think what was happening, by the time I arrive at a stoppage, the Pressure as built up sufficiently to fully extend the Cylinders and make just the extended Sensors. When I was checking all the relevant conditions, they were all true. which was foxing me a bit / a lot. Hopefully it is now sorted.

I would still appreciate some help with the Pseudo Fag F233.0. What's its function and how do I fault find it. I always get into difficulties when trouleshooting Graph 5 I guess I just don't have enough experience with it. Apart from adding/removing segments to the programme and altering TM & TW Timers i am pretty clueless. I wouldn't know where to start if I needed to write a routine of my own.

Below is STEP 4/1 TRANSITION 4/1 STEP 5/1 TRANSITION 5/1

SB60
STEP 4/1
:A F 233.0 ENABLE
:S F 30.1 STN 6 ADVANCE/RETURN PALLET LOCATORS
:= F 32.2 SB60 STEP 4
:R F 31.0 STN 6 RETRY COUNT O/S
:BE

TRANSITION 4/1
:A(
:O F 29.0 STN 6 CYCLE ON
:O
:A F 29.1 STN 6 MANUAL MODE
:A F 29.2 STN 6 MANUAL FOWRD STEP
:)
:A F 33.6 STN 6 LOCATORS ADVANCED
:A I 44.7 STN 6 CLAMPS LOWERED
:A F 32.2 SB 60 STEP 4
:S F 31.2 STN 6 ZERO RETRY COUNT

STEP 5/1
:A F 233.0 ENABLE
:S F 30.3 STN 6 RAISE LOWER DRIVE
:= F 32.4 SB60 STEP 5
:R F 31.0 STN 6 RETRY COUNT O/S

TRANSITION 5/1
:A(
:O F 29.0 STN 6 CYCLE ON
:O
:A F 29.1 STN 6 MANUAL MODE
:A F 29.2 STN 6 MANUAL FOWRD STEP
:)
:A I 46.2 DRIVE RAISED
:A F 32.4 SB 60 STEP 5
:S F 31.2 STN 6 ZERO RETRY COUNT
Note when viewed in Ladder format both TRAN 4/1 and TRAN 5/1 HAVE := F 233.0 at the same time as the :S F 31.2 Question: why is this not expressed in STL format?

Steve.

I would still appreciate some help with the Pseudo Fag F233.0. What's its function and how do I fault find it. I always get into difficulties when trouleshooting Graph 5 I guess I just don't have enough experience with it. Apart from adding/removing segments to the programme and altering TM & TW Timers i am pretty clueless. I wouldn't know where to start if I needed to write a routine of my own.
Note when viewed in Ladder format both TRAN 4/1 and TRAN 5/1 HAVE := F 233.0 at the same time as the :S F 31.2 Question: why is this not expressed in STL format?

Steve.

I used Graph5 last time ... must have been 1990, and didn't like it. I think (guess) your F233.0 (Enable) is set when the FB70 is in Auto mode and is started, perhaps also Manual mode and is tipped.

Regarding the second puzzle; I guess that it's some feedback to FB70.

But here is the link to the Graph5 manual:đź“š
http://support.automation.siemens.com/WW/view/en/22531176

Kalle