Siemens PDM with Step 7 300 system

danw

Lifetime Supporting Member
An ethanol plant was closed down, sold, is now running under new owner. It needs a couple replacement temperature transmitters.

The plant is running a Step 7 300 PLC with some HMI. The field devices are Profibus (presumably PA, but not certain).

The owner claims the PDM software used to configure the instruments was on a laptop that disappeared during the closure.

My questions are,
1) what other components/software are needed to get a PC that has the Profibus version of PDM installed on it to talk to the field instruments?

2) How does a PDM laptop connect to a Profibus network?

3) The HART version of PDM comes with the Simatic Manager 'shell'. Does the Profibus version of PDM come with Simatic Manager, or is it assumed that Simatic Manager is already resident somewhere in the control system?