Siemens Simatic s7-300 Ethernet connection Issues

z0de

Hi folks, I'm having trouble connecting to a Siemens Simatic S7-300 CPU 315-2PN/DP via ethernet from a PC using Hyperterminal, I have the correct IP Address and everything but it will not connect to it. Do I need to connect on a different port; as I have it connecting on Port 23 at the moment. I may have other questions later, as Siemans Support doesn't seem to be too good.

Last edited:
I have another related question regarding the aforementioned PLC. Can the RJ45 port on the S7-300 be used for ethernet communication with a PC (Personal Computer) or do I need a separate module such as the CP 343-1?

How exactly does one go about doing that? I am having a lot of trouble figuring it out on my own, and I got some **** answer from the Siemens support staff. Do I need a special program to do that or should a simple OPC Client/Scout work for it?

How exactly does one go about doing that? I am having a lot of trouble figuring it out on my own, and I got some **** answer from the Siemens support staff. Do I need a special program to do that or should a simple OPC Client/Scout work for it?
I think that the quality of the answers you get, matches the information you put. Get it ?

Understood...

I have a client that is using the S7-300, and has written the internal PLC software. My job is to create an interface that waits for a ready flag from the PLC, then queries the PLC when the ready flag reads true, and in return the PLC sends the stored data set to the PC; which in turn inserts the information into an Excel spreadsheet. As for my question, is there anything I can do on my side that will allow me to communicate with the PLC via a TCP/IP over ethernet, or does that have to be enabled within the PLC programming?

Lastly, the commands for querying wouldn't be a standard set; moreover, they should be a custom list from the variable's within the PLC programming. Correct?

I suggest you go via OPC.
For help on programming an OPC Client go to:
http://www.opcconnect.com/
There are OPC servers for S7 from Siemens, Kepware, Deltalogic and others.

As a completely different alternative, there is Easylog from Deltalogic, which will do everything you listed at only 400 Euro, and with no programming effort at all. Unfortunately it is in german only.
http://www.deltalogic.de/content/view/20/37/lang,de/

As you describe it, the PLC shall simply store all the relevant data in suitable tags, and then increment a counter. The OPC Client or Easylog shall then monitor the counter and store the tag values when the counter values changes. Using a bit is also possible, but using a counter brings added benefits.

As to the connection between the PLC and the PC, there is nothing that has to be done specially in the PLC.

Quick question, Do I need to setup an OPC server to be able to communicate with the PLC using the custom interfaced client I have created?

Do you mean you have created an OPC Client ?
In that case an OPC Connection (aka. "OPC Topic" by non-Siemens applications) has to be defined in Simatic Net. The connection links the Client to the PLC.

Do you mean you have created an OPC Client ?
In that case an OPC Connection (aka. "OPC Topic" by non-Siemens applications) has to be defined in Simatic Net. The connection links the Client to the PLC.

I don't have access to any of the Simatic Software. Can anything else can be used or done?

Or Libnodave ?

Have that but there really isn't much information on using it with Delphi 5

I don't have access to any of the Simatic Software. Can anything else can be used or done?

Have that but there really isn't much information on using it with Delphi 5

Using Delphi you don't (realy) need the Libnodave

using UDP server component ( in D2005 its TidUDPServer from Indy but from D5 to D2005 the component has cahged somewhat)

In the PLC you need to use FC5 en FC6 from the communication lib.You also need to make a connection in netpro ( specify the IP and Port on both sides.

On delphi side you need to use a array to rea the info .Have a look at the code .I used this to test ...change the IP to suit

Eric