Siemens special features over other brands

in Iran among GE,AB and siemens we just have one option, "SIEMENS" becouse us sanction.

What about Asian or other European brands. There is lot more than just Siemens.

But I think siemens software is too tricky and it is not
user friendly at all. I think some of rules and tricks are unreasonable.

Tricky? :ROFLMAO: I dont find it tricky. Also I find it user friendly compared to some other like Omron CX-One Or mitsu GX developer.

Give some examples of "rules" that are "unreasonable".

in software ,patch over patch and alot of hotfix show you German brilliant programming!

You really should think what you say. If you generalize all people of nation, be ready to take generalization of your nation.

there are some conflict between simatic softwares and even higher version some times don't support earller .5 years ago I had part time job with a very small company with 3 employ they designed a PLC with Z80 cpu(it has some basic Function ) it works well without SF led ON!!

SF (system fault) led is there for a reason. Its your incompetence to not be able to solve what is the cause.

About PLC selection state that your maintenance staff have access to Seimens software

If other brands of PLC quoted, then fully operational software must be added into the price and supplied to the maintenance section on completion of project.

I don't think any other PLC has a RUN STOP RES switch along with a memory card slot of the front of the CPU.

I have had this discussion before with another European engineer that writes specifications. To specify specifically a S7, just specify there must be a RUN STOP RES switch on the CPU.

"If this is for a public utility, such as water supplies, WWT, tunnel lighting or similar, then in the EU it would be illegal to specify a certain brand."
Obviously engineers are smarter than the politicians and bureaucrats and can get around the the rules without breaking them.

The S7-1200 has no run stop switch on the cpu (forgetting the mem card), all done in software. First breakthrough for Siemens !

The S7-1200 has no run stop switch on the cpu (forgetting the mem card), all done in software. First breakthrough for Siemens !

I would not say its braketrough to not have it anymore. It is sometimes pretty handy. And atleast I have been able to change S7 to stop, run etc. straight from s7 manager...

Actually, I think having the memory card is a good thing

I would probably chose something cheaper than what Siemens has done but other than that I think it is a good idea. I think that a USB memory stick would be good as they are everywhere now and are big and cheap.

These off board memories are handy because the person at night doesn't need to have access to a PC or laptop to clone a PLC or motion controller should one fail.

We can easily download programs using our setup software but then the person has full access to the motion controller. The same would go for a PLC. We have made programs that can ONLY update the motion controller thus limiting the access to everything else. I think this is a good solution if the person that clones the program knows how to do it.

The problem with the memory stick is that they can get lost and then what. They need to be kept updated with the current program and yet they must be kept in a secure place were people can get to them at night.

This is a good topic for another thread but in short, I think it is good to have a way of cloning a program SIMPLY should something go wrong at night. These are the kinds of feature that make a lot of differnce is saving lost production which will probably cost more than the PLC or motion controller.

5 years ago I had part time job with a very small company with 3 employ they designed a PLC with Z80 cpu(it has some basic Function ) it works well without SF led ON!!
Yesterday 01:26 PM
I want to say a huge company like siemens should make sth better I appreciate german products but what I've seen its software it wasn't good enough
yes z80 it is too old but in most on/off control systems is enough!!!and they make this PLC under 100$ and its software was just look like "Ladder builder for KV" .as I know some of them are working in a tire making company without any problem.

about Iran we access to other countries products but I think Siemens,GE and AB are in higher Level. I personally had some projects with keyence KV series ,LS Glofa.

Last edited: