Siemens TP177B Color PN/DP to SLC 5/04

recycled_mind

Dear PLC experts,

I would like to know if anybody has already successfully communicate an Allen-Bradley SLC 5/04 to Siemens TP177B Color PD/DP HMI. I have tried the system but i was not able to do it.

I have tried DF1 and DH485 Protocol but it doesn't communicate.
Here's my questions:

1.) What should be the correct settings for this system? for DF1 or DH485?

hope you can help...

Thanks,
Alex

Which settings did you use on the panel for the IF1 B interface?
It is not enough to just configure the settings in WinCC Flex, you have to manually change the Port settings in the Windows CE environment.

Which settings did you use on the panel for the IF1 B interface?
It is not enough to just configure the settings in WinCC Flex, you have to manually change the Port settings in the Windows CE environment.

I did not make any settings on the HMI Windows CE, can you share what settings should i make? I doubt since there is only MPI/Profibus options on the communications. What should i do to communicate the HMI to DF1 protocol?

Don't have parts to play with, so can't check myself.
Communication manual however, says you need to make a small adjustment and depending on the connection, you might need a RS422/RS232 converter.

Do not forget, you need to change the dipswitches for RS422 communication.

Last edited:
Use the DF1 protocol in stead of DH485.
You need an RS422/RS232 adapter to connect the TP177B's to the SLC5/04's CH0 port.
One example is Siemens 6AV6671-8XE00-0AX0.
The port on the TP177B must be set to RS422/RS485 by the dip switches on the rear of the panel.
Plug the adapter in the port on the TP177B. Then connect a null-modem cable to the adapter and the SLC5/04.

You need an RS422/RS232 adapter to connect the TP177B's to the SLC5/04's CH0 port.
The port on the TP177B must be set to RS422/RS485 by the dip switches on the rear of the panel.
Plug the adapter in the port on the TP177B. Then connect a null-modem cable to the adapter and the SLC5/04.

The manual says to use Allen-Bradley cable 1747-CP3. Can I use this instead? I dont have the 6AV6671-8XE00-0AX0 and the null-modem cable. Also, when you say, null-modem cable, what kind of cable is this? Do you refer to Null modem without handshaking?Null modem with loop back handshaking? Null modem with partial handshaking? or Null modem with full handshaking? Sorry, this is my first time using TP177B with SLC 5/04. I often used pure Simatic components.

Last edited:
A null-modem cable is a cable where the wires for transmitting Rtx and Stx are swapped. The 1747-CP3 is a null-modem cable. For DF1, you dont need any handshaking.

Without an RS422/RS232 adapter there is no way to connect the TP177B to the SLC5/04, except for even more complicated methods. The Simens 6AV6671-8XE00-0AX0 plugs right into the port on the TP177B and it is not expensive.

A null-modem cable is a cable where the wires for transmitting Rtx and Stx are swapped. The 1747-CP3 is a null-modem cable. For DF1, you dont need any handshaking.

Without an RS422/RS232 adapter there is no way to connect the TP177B to the SLC5/04, except for even more complicated methods. The Simens 6AV6671-8XE00-0AX0 plugs right into the port on the TP177B and it is not expensive.

Thank you very much Jesper for the information. May I know if I can use a commercial RS422/RS232 converter aside from the one made by Siemens? I'm in the Philippines and i presume that this converter is not a fast moving item so, the leadtime will be 10 weeks if I order it today. Or, if somebody knows the pin configuration of this siemens RS422/RS232 converter, please share. Can we fabricate it? or there is a special circuit inside the converter?

By the way, I was able to control already the machine but not using the TP177B. I'm just using the WinCC Flexible PC Runtime. Using an ordinary USB-Serial cable plus the AB 1747-CP3. So basically, Wincc Flexible 2008 works well with SLC 5/04 with the proper cables.

Best regards,
Alex Senagan

Already installed the RS422/RS232 adapter but still no communications. Do I forget something here?

From memory, I think the Siemens adapter has 9-pin male plug on both sides. So it can be turned the wrong way.
Also, be aware of the dip switches on the rear of the panel.

List all the communication settings in WinCC Flex, and the settings for the CH0 port on the SLC5/04.

Already set dip switch settings at the back of the panel to RS422, already check proper polarity of the adapter.

Here are the settings;
WINCCFLEXIBLE Settings:
Interface: IF1B
Type: RS422
Baud rate: 19200
Data bits: 8
Parity: NONE
Stop bits: 1
Checksum: BCC
CPU Type: SLC50X
Destination add. (dec): 0

SLC500 Channel 0 Configurations
Driver: DF1 Full Duplex
Baud: 19200
Parity: NONE
Stop Bits: 1
Source ID: 0
Control Line: No handshaking
Error Detection: BCC
Embedded responses: Auto detect (with check duplicate packet detect)
ACK Timeout (x20ms): 50
NAK Retries: 3
ENQ Retries: 3