Simatic Op3

smiles

Hi !!! I have just got a device that used to monitor/control an autoclave. It is one product of Matachana company, I see it at the front face but in the rear, it is of Siemens (SIMATIC OP3) ... so the device is for specific application then the key symbols in keyboard is changed, like 'SHIFT' replaced by 'F'(I think they are the same because F1 replace by symbol for open or close autoclave and F2 replace for RESET; F3, F4, F5 are lost), '+/-' is lost, 'ESC' don't have symbol -\\- over it. That 's all.
I want to ask if now I bought a new OP3, with the regulated keyboard, how can I change to the new keyboard means do programming for the new keys function ?
Thanks so much !

Normally Siemens doesn't make OP3 anymore. They started a new product-line with the OP-70 series (OP73, 77A and 77B)as a succesor for the OP3, OP7-panels

https://mall.automation.siemens.com/NL/guest/index.asp?aktprim=0&lang=nl&nodeID=10018144&foldersopen=-1282-1-3155-3156-3174-3175-&jumpto=3175

For these you need new software WinCC flexible. With this software you can convert older OP-programs for the new OP-hardware.

Maybe you can still buy an OP3 from one of your suppliers or try ebay.

http://search.ebay.de/search/search.dll?from=R40&_trksid=m37&satitle=OP3&category0=

Last edited:
smiles said:
Hi !!! I have just got a device that used to monitor/control an autoclave. It is one product of Matachana company, I see it at the front face but in the rear, it is of Siemens (SIMATIC OP3) ... so the device is for specific application then the key symbols in keyboard is changed, like 'SHIFT' replaced by 'F'(I think they are the same because F1 replace by symbol for open or close autoclave and F2 replace for RESET; F3, F4, F5 are lost), '+/-' is lost, 'ESC' don't have symbol -\\- over it. That 's all.
I want to ask if now I bought a new OP3, with the regulated keyboard, how can I change to the new keyboard means do programming for the new keys function ?
Thanks so much !

The OP3's key functions are in the PLC program. I beleive by default DB6 assigned parameters to which flag bytes are associated with keys.
If you have a copy of the S5 program, you can change the function of the keys by looking at DB6

Ian

Thanks for your replies, from what you say, the PLC separate its program into two part, one for operating autoclave, one for OP3, so what I need here is the one for OP3.
When I buy a new OP3, I just use Simatic software, uses the same program for the new one (and change the symbol of keys) ?
Is that right ?
And ... uhm ... If I don't have the old program, what I have to do ?
Thanks !

I just found some document from Siemens. You should be able to buy OP3, OP7 and OP17 untill 30/09/2007. After this there will be a 9 year periode where you can get only 'spare-parts', trade-in or reperation of the panel.

Thanks you :) and one more question about connection between PC, OP3 and PLC.
I see in manual of ProTool software, I see that PC connected to OP3 via RS232, OP3 connected to PLC via MPI/PPI port, PC not connected directly to PLC. But when I ask the person who let me see this OP3 device only, he says that the PLC connected to PC via RS232 port, how about OP3, where it is connected to ?
And I had read your link, I see the answer:
Q1: you can use the Prosave utilty (in you Protool propgram group) to upload a program and dowload it to another OP7. You cannot open or modify the file that you upload (it is compiled).
I want to ask, where is the program uploaded to before download to OP7 ?
Thank you very much !!!

Q1: I want to ask, where is the program uploaded to before download to OP7 ?

answer: I never have done this but I guess that the program is uploaded to the pc.

Q2: how about OP3, where it is connected to ?

answer:

When you are programming the OP3 you should use the RS232 to download the OP-program.

After programming the OP3: OP3 and your cpu are connected by means of a MPI-network.

OP3 is connected to the MPI-port of the cpu by means of a Profibus-cable (2-wires)and Profibus-connector (MPI uses these Profibus-components). Make sure that you use connectors with terminator-resistors at both ends of your network.

These connectors have
* models with or without terminator-resistor
* models with different angles of connection.
* models with or without the possibility to connect the programming-cable.

Thank you :)
And I still have a small problem, you say old program for OP3, I must get it and look into DB6 before doing something with new OP3, but ... how can I get the old program, where it is located ?
While if you operate the autoclave, you just see it with the OP3 mounted on it and nothing else ?
Thank you very much !!!

The Protool-program is inside the OP3 (use ProSave).

The plc-program (with DB6) is inside the memory of the cpu.

You don't need the Protool to install the program in the new OP3.
Go to the Siemens page and download the Prosave for Free (yes it is free). get a serial cable and backup the project from the old OP3 to the PC with the Prosave. Connect the new OP3 with the serial cable to the PC and do a Restore of the project with Prosave and Voilá, you have the new OP3 up and running.