Simatic S5-100 U Comms and Programming

bhedding024

I have a 6ES5 100-8MA01 that came in without the EPROM installed. I followed the procedure to get the program loaded and it goes into RUN mode but the machine does nothing. Not 100% certain it's not a wiring or other control issue but trying to explore all the options short of chucking the thing in the trash and staring over.
For what it's worth the battery was also replaced because it came in dead. Machine had been sitting for some amount of time.

Trying to determine the easiest path to get it connected to a PC. I found a cable online fromthe EU that allegedly connects the PLC programming port to a USB port. However, it would appear the Step5 software only runs on Windows 3.1 or 95. Would something like VMWare work in this scenario? Any other advice?

Thank you!