Simatic S5-100 U Comms and Programming

bhedding024

I have a 6ES5 100-8MA01 that came in without the EPROM installed. I followed the procedure to get the program loaded and it goes into RUN mode but the machine does nothing. Not 100% certain it's not a wiring or other control issue but trying to explore all the options short of chucking the thing in the trash and staring over.
For what it's worth the battery was also replaced because it came in dead. Machine had been sitting for some amount of time.

Trying to determine the easiest path to get it connected to a PC. I found a cable online fromthe EU that allegedly connects the PLC programming port to a USB port. However, it would appear the Step5 software only runs on Windows 3.1 or 95. Would something like VMWare work in this scenario? Any other advice?

Thank you!

So no outputs are on ?

What does I followed the procedure to get the program loaded mean?

So you have the step5 project/program?

I attached a screen shot of the process from the manual. It's basically just copying the EPROM into the PLC memory i presume. I do not currently have the S5 software or the correct cable to connect it to a laptop. Still trying to track down my Win95 machine.
No outputs are on. Just got a copy of the electrical drawings this afternoon in German of course.

Screenshot_20230614_182006_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

The S5 software is probably a dos version but it works in a funny way, the S5.CMD (program) is actually a CPM emulator so in effect it runs CPM.
It probably needs a real serial port the converter lead is TTY not 485 or 232.
The S5 100 is well past it's useful date assming the Eprom has the correct program then no outputs but the PLC is in run is probably an input from some safety system i.e. without a certain input on then the outputs will not energise, it is common to use an aux off some e-stop or safety circuit to disable outputs in the program as well as hard wired power to the outputs.
if the IDe is a genuine S5 then it would need the parallel port dongle this was their form of copy protection.
There was a couple of S5 versions done by others that worked within windows I think one was from a company called IBH or something like that.
If the program is loaded from the eprom there will certainly be no comments, one thing I do suggest you try is without the eprom, is a complete cold start, cannot remember the actual sequence but it goes something like this:
Remove the battery, hold the run key in the reset position, power up, toggle the run/reset switch a couple of times, perhaps do this again with the battery connected, as I say cannot remember the actual sequence but initially the PLC needs to generate DB0 as this contains certain parameters, it was always something you had to do when starting with a new PLC.
Do this it should show the run light, then do the sequence to load the eprom as already posted.

I have a 6ES5 100-8MA01 that came in without the EPROM installed. I followed the procedure to get the program loaded and it goes into RUN mode but the machine does nothing.
How did you load the program. From the EPROM which was available but not plugged in the PLC, and with the procedure that bhedding024 showed you? Odd that the EPROM is not installed. Is there any label for example, indicating that there is a program on the EPROM ? Is the sticker over the window in the EPROM chip still in place ?

What cable exactly do you have ?

Yes IBH Softec makes both the cable and the software ('S5 for Windows'). This can run on a current PC with Windows 10.
The IBH USB cable can also work with the old Siemens STEP5 software. Problem is that the Siemens STEP5 software must be one of the latest versions (v7.x) to run under a recent windows (probably must be a 32-bit Windows) with USB support. With the IBH USB adapter it can also work in a VM. STEP7 v6 or earlier would be too old.