SIMATIC S5 - Error and CPU status

islander808

Good afternoon,

I have a Simatic S5 / S5-135U with three CPU 928B. The PLC is not operating due to a BASP error. On two of the CPU boards only the red STOP light is flashing, while one of the CPU boards has the green RUN light and flashing STOP light.

The manual has a status light chart, but there is no green RUN and flasshing STOP light option. Only flashing or stead STOP lights. Has anyone seen this error before?

Does this mean I have to do an overall reset?

It's best to get the information going online and look at the ISTACK information. Then use it to STOP and RUN the PLC.

If you don't have access to S5 software, then an overall reset can be done, but make sure you have an EPROM or EEPROM in your CPU or your CPU will be empty after.

Does your power supply have a battery light on?

Screenshot 2023-02-21 011843.jpg

Last edited:
The power supply had a fan fault, and we replaced the fans. There are no battery or fan faults at this time. We don't have the S5 software.

Try a manual cold restart:

You carry out a MANUAL COLD RESTART as follows:

Hold the mode selector in the RESET position; at the same time,
switch the mode selector from STOP to RUN.

Or use the PC START programmer function (COLD RESTART) (from STEP 5)

The PLC is in a military shipyard/industrial area, so unfortunately I can't take a picture. I can try to get the part numbers off of them tomorrow.