Simple (and Cheap) Message Display?

mcswc3

I need to display a product number(15 characters max) so an operator can glance at it and place the correct label on a pallet. (note: the labeling is less than 10 feet from the PLC)

1. Is LED the best, cheap way to do this?
(It doesn't have to be huge, just reasonably readable.)

2. How do I connect it and send it a string from the PLC?
(I'm using a CompactLogix with EtherNet/IP.)

3. What's a reasonable price?
(and where's a good place to buy?)

Thanks!

1) Probably.
2) Not sure. Are you going to use "canned" strings that are embedded in the display and simply trigger a message number (a la Uticor), or are you going to send the literal out from the PLC to the display? ASCII & PLC's in general don't mix well...
3) This is as good a place to start as any: http://www.led-display-signs.com/

If nothing else, consider this a bump. :)

rootboy,
Yes, it's got to be a direct ASCII string -- not pre-programmed.

geniusintraining,
Yep, a cheap HMI could work -- in this case. However, I can see multiple possibilities for this kind of thing to display counts, statuses, etc., etc. in the future.

Thoughts on this?
http://www.omega.com/pptst/ezsermarquee.html

Search the forum for EZMarquee. There have been a few threads over the years which may contain useful info for you.

I have used some made by Vorne Industries and they were great and very reliable. They were much cheaper than the DL-40 (Allen Bradley) I replaced, but not cheap by today's standards.

I would use an HMI if you can get away with it. For the difference in cost you really do get more bang for your buck.

Plus HMI's like the Red Lion G3 can talk directly to your PLC so you do not have to create all that ASCII code to make the string go out the Comm Port.

However, I can see multiple possibilities for this kind of thing to display counts, statuses, etc., etc. in the future.

Then look at the HMI's, (Red Lion's are great, just not sure if it will fit your budget) in the future you can just edit it when your process changes, you may have to pay a few dollars more but much easier to change then a ascii string or other led display

HMI would be good -- do you know any that a 15-character string could be read read at 5 to 10 feet away (forklift driver picking up a pallet)?

I like marquees for things like this. Instead of spending 2or 3 days doing the serial stuff in the PLC. I use a G3 to read the data and pass it to the Marquee.
I usually use a dumb ASCII display. Look at the redlion Serial Slave. There was something weird about the character it displayed. Look over the data sheet. If I don't use the Redlion I use a EZ Marquee. I like the EZ because of using the multi colors. There are a couple of gottas that you have to watchout for.

You suggest using a G3 to read the data and pass it rather than directly from the PLC. If it's easier to make the HMI communicate with the marquee, we have a PanelView Plus on the system too... Would that be easier?

DamianInRochester,
The price is right, but can't find any of the Optimates that could be read at a distance...