Simplified Security in Crimson...

See attached, made it where you can change the passcode
Yup, that'll work... :cool:

Now that I know how to directly goto screens via data entry, I can easily have different security levels. I would want the password changeable only by personnel with a higher security level (i.e. different password).

Since I noticed you made the password retentive, it reminds me of another question for you or others...

I use retentive data for recipes, but I'm wondering what action clears the data in these retentive registers? I can recall at least one time accidentally wiping out all of my recipe data when downloading a modified database, but I'm not sure what caused it.

I know when I use 'save as' to make a copy, I get the attached warning. I assumed that if I choose 'No', it would preserve the existing retentive data, but I'm not sure. Is this how it works?

Normally I make changes while online, but occasionally I'll make modifications to a copy, offline at the office, then download it at the customer. I may have chosen 'Yes' the time I wiped out the data... :oops:

Also, is it possible to upload the retentive data? How about downloading 'default' values? Remember, the G304K2s don't have CF or USB.

🍻

-Eric

C3warning.jpg

Normally I make changes while online, but occasionally I'll make modifications to a copy, offline at the office, then download it at the customer. I may have chosen 'Yes' the time I wiped out the data... :oops:
I've had this happen a few times and guessed that was what I did too.
Also, is it possible to upload the retentive data? How about downloading 'default' values? Remember, the G304K2s don't have CF or USB.
I'd be interested in ways to upload and download the retentive values. I have a machine that the original programmer used a ton of retentive tags to store parameters. Entering them was brutal when we replaced a damaged screen.

I've had this happen a few times and guessed that was what I did too.
Glad I'm not alone... :D

I'd be interested in ways to upload and download the retentive values.
Looking at the WriteAll() command in the reference manual...

I wonder if I could map all my 'important' internal retentive tags to the PLC (thus making them EXternal... ;)), and execute the WriteAll() command on a timed or user initiated basis... o_O

I don't see a corresponding ReadAll() command, so this would be a one-way operation, but better than nothing for a backup.

I'm sure this is not the intended purpose of the WriteAll() command.

🍻

-Eric

See attached, made it where you can change the passcode

Got it, but what did you change the passcode to?
I got Eric's screen to work, but I can't guess the passcode on SimpleSecurityTWtake3.
Never mind, I figured it "0"ut
Very cool!

Forgive me because I am still learning RLC.
How can I use the PLC to make the HMI go to a certain screen?

Got it, but what did you change the passcode to?
I got Eric's screen to work, but I can't guess the passcode on SimpleSecurityTWtake3.
Never mind, I figured it "0"ut
Very cool!
Yes, the initial value would be zero until you enter a new password

Forgive me because I am still learning RLC.
How can I use the PLC to make the HMI go to a certain screen?
I would first question WHY you want the PLC to change screens. With other HMIs, I did the screen changes with the PLC, but once I switched to Red Lion, I found I don't need PLC control.

That said, I'm sure there are a number of ways to have the PLC change the screen. One way is to use the "trigger" tab in the tag editor. Depending on the type of tag, you can trigger based on a number of things. In the 'action', just use GotoPage(page).

🍻

-Eric

I would first question WHY you want the PLC to change screens...
-Eric
If I am Jogging the Vertical cylinder, and I am on the Jogging page, Mid position button is pressed, I want to adjust the Mid position target value,
I want to Hit a button (F3) to go to the Mid position adjustment page.
If I am Jogging the Vertical cylinder, and I am on the Jogging page, Top position button is pressed, I want to adjust the Top position target value,
I want to Hit the same button (F3) to go to the top position adjustment page.
The F3 button takes me to the correct adjustment page based on which cylinder target I have selected.
Mid >>>> F3 >>>> Mid adjustment page
Top >>>> F3 >>>> Top adjustment page
Down >>>> F3 >>>> Down adjustment page

Are you talking about the buttons on the left side when you say F3? Not a fan of the buttons on the side, it's not as clear to the operator as a button that says "Target Value".

While overkill for three buttons, see attached. It allows you to have a single data entry point and write it to multiple tags depending on what button was pressed last. This way you don't even need to switch screens.

Oh yeah, I forgot about the buttons on the side. Not a fan either, but I guess they have their uses. I mainly use Kadets without those buttons.

If you want to use the side buttons, use Tim's method to determine which onscreen button is pressed, then make the action of the side button go to a page based on what onscreen button was pressed.

if (LastButtonPressed == 1)
GotoPage(newpage1);
else {
if (LastButtonPressed == 2)
GotoPage(newpage2);
if (LastButtonPressed == 3)
GotoPage(newpage3);
}

🍻

-Eric

Are you talking about the buttons on the left side when you say F3? ...
No I don't have them, I am talking about a Kadet, no buttons.
I just use the F3 terminology because that's how I used to have to do it in the PanelView.
Thanks, You guys have given me lot's to think about.
A lot of logic that I normally think of running in the PLC I can do with the HMI program.

A lot of logic that I normally think of running in the PLC I can do with the HMI program.
I discovered that too. My PLC programs have gotten much smaller. On some of my simpler machines, I pretty much use the PLC only as remote I/O for the HMI... :cool:

Crimson can be a bit frustrating at first, but once you grasp the basics, you realize how powerful it really is! I am constantly learning new 'tricks'... :nodi:

🍻

-Eric