Sinamics S120 migration to TIA

Pandiani

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hello to all,

I have a STEP 7 project (v5.6) with S7-400F CPU and Sinamics S120 drives with CU320x2PN (ord. nr. 6SL3 040-1MA01-0Axx).
I need to migrate this project to TIA.
Sinamics drives cannot be directly migrated but migration is successful if I remove the drives from HWConfig. I have found similar thread here, and indeed I created GSDMl files using scripts in STARTER.
When I install these GSDML files in TIA v17, migration is still not successful.
I have even upgrade Firmware of SINAMICS drives in original project from v4.4 to v5.2, because I saw in TIA v17 that there are SINAMICS drives in the library with firmware version 5.2, but that didn't help.

Is there some way to save all settings and parameters of the drives using STARTER, migrate to TIA v17 without SINAMICS and then manually add drives in the TIA project and then upload settings and parameters?

I know there are people here very knowledgeable about SINAMICS and hope to get some useful advices.

Thank you very much.

SINAMICS drives migration TIA.png

Yes, I have another PC (virtual machine) with TIA v17 and Startdrive.

On the machine with STEP 7 I have Starter installed. I use migration tool to create intermediate file, which is then copied to VM with TIA v17 to finish migration process there. This is the workflow I used on some project already (without Sinamics drives) and worked OK.

If you’re using Startdrive then I would upload from S120 into your V17 project , then connect the cpu network. (Your last sentence in post 1 had this I believe)

(I’ve run in to quirks with this too)

I got lost in your Starter and script explanation because that is for using a gsd (xml) not Startdrive
I’ve never heard of a way to take a Starter file (or cu320-2 object) and turning that into something Startdrive can use

Last edited:
Leave the Sinamics in Starter and migrate the plc code to TIA. I'd only use Startdrive on a new project.

I got lost in your Starter and script explanation because that is for using a gsd (xml) not Startdrive
I’ve never heard of a way to take a Starter file (or cu320-2 object) and turning that into something Startdrive can use

What I tried was the following. On the machine with STEP 7 project, I used STARTED to generate gsdml with the script according to explanation in the documentation.
These files I moved to the machine with TIA v17 and installed them in TIA portal hoping this would allow me to migrate i.e. to migrate intermediate file created with SIMATIC Migration tool TIA v17.

I don't have HW drive or possibility to upload. I have STEP 7 project and I'm preparing it for virtual commissioning. I have a bunch of virtual machines with different software and versions.

So basically, I need to convert projects (migrate) without access to actual hardware, which is many kilometers away.

This didn't work even though gsdml files were installed successfully, migration was not successful.

Then, I asked if there is some way to use Starter on STEP 7 machine and Startdrive on TIA machine. I have never done anything with SINAMICS before, so don't know what would be recommended way to even try this migration.

@L D[AR2,P#0.0], can you please provide more information?

I don't have experience working with Sinamics drives. What would be the approach to migrate this STEP 7 project to TIA?
I have already made test and the migration is successful if Sinamics drivers are removed from HWconfig in STEP7.

Last edited:
Yes, it seems that is the only option for me now, to manually add the drives.
Thank you for your time and answers.