SLC 5/03 Remote Rack Hardware

berrabbit5849

I wont to use a SLC 5/03 and have one remote rack. What cards do I need for this ? Does it matter what slot I put them in ? If they go in the first slot will my first card at the processor be card 1 for I/O ? And same for the remote rack ? I wont to connect these via BLUE HOSE.

You will need a 1747-SN running in "Scanner" Mode within the SLC 5/03 "Local" chassis and one running in "Adapter" Mode within the first slot (leftmost)of your remote chassis; connect the Universal Remote I/O (blue-hose) cabling between the two 1747-SN modules terminals; the remote chassis Inputs and Outputs will carry the address identifier of the SLC chassis where the 1747-SN Scanner resides; if the RIO Scanner resides in the SLC Main Chassis Slot 6 for example, the Inputs and Outputs of your remote rack will be mapped within the I:6 and O:6 Data Tables.
http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/in/1747-in060_-en-p.pdf
http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/um/1747-um013_-en-p.pdf

The adapter module will be a 1747-ASB no?
So, a "SN" module as the scanner and a "ASB" as the adapter.

The SN goes in the slot next to the Processor. Will the first slot to the right of the SN be slot or card 1 [I/O I:1/0]
The ASB goes in the first slot of my remote rack in slot 1. I wont to start this rack with I/O group 11 [I:11/0] Is this a problem ?
Does this 'G' file take the place of BTR/BTW or do I still have to program this ?

What modules will you have in the remote rack? What OS is your 5/03
Its been a long time since I have done this - but I seem to recall that not all SLC have BTR/BTW instructions so depending on the OS in the cpu you might have BTX instructions or you may have to do it through the G files?

Perhaps someone with more recent experience can help out?

The first slot of a 1747 chassis(leftmost one-next to the Power Supply) is conventinally named Slot 0.
Let's not mix up the Scanner's I/O Image structure with the SLC CPUs memory mapping.
At page 4-3 of http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/um/1747-um013_-en-p.pdf
you will find the 1747-SN Scanner's I/O Image structure.
Now, if you want to map the remote rack's I/Os within the I:11.x and O:11.x SLC 5/03 Data Table files you will have to install the 1747-SN module in Slot 11 of the SLC 5/03 chassis.
Data transfer(mapping)between the RIO adapter and the RIO scanner could be accomplished discretely (the G Files you were refering to) or via BTR/BTW depending of the type of the modules you are using.
Refer to page 3-13 of http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/um/1747-um006_-en-p.pdf
in order to establish how the data from your RIO chassis will be mapped within the SLC CPU memory.
Also within the second posted link, you will have to decide the Remote I/O addressing method: 1/2 Slot, 1-Slot or 2-Slot addressing.

The slot that you select for your SN module will determine the I/O addresses of the points in your remote chassis(s). Think of the SN module as a very large I/O module. That is how it appears to the processor.

Say you choose Slot 2. All RIO inputs for that scanner will be I:2/xxx. All outputs will be O:2/xxx. How the I/O is mapped to each slot in your remote chassis(s) will depend upon how you configure the ASB module. With single slot addressing selected, each slot will be assigned 16 bits. In that case, an 8 point output card in Slot 1 would be assigned O:2/00 through O:2/07 and an 8 point output card in Slot 2 would be assigned O:2/16 through O:2/23.

Analog I/O in an SLC remote chassis can be a PITA to work with. If you can, you'll save yourself some trouble by placing all of your analog I/O in Chassis 0, rather than in the remote I/O chassis(s).

As for the processor model I do not know yet. This is a future project when $ gets availiable. The I/O will be all 1746-OBP16 and 1746-IB16. No Analog. Have been using Micrologic 1500s so I forgot that the first slot in the 5/03 is "0". I assume it will use the G file. I will be using 7 slot chassis in both. The Processor chassis will have 6 I/O cards. The remote rack will have 6 I/O cards. 1st I/O used in my program for the remote rack is I:7/0. Are you saying the SN needs to be in slot 7 of the main chassis ? And I need to use I;O/O to start ?

If this is for a future project and you will be buying new hardware, look at going CompactLogix instead.

Not an option right now. We have a 5/03 in use now and the Rslogix 500 software. So another different spare processor would be costly. This is a small company. Why would the CompactLogic be better ? Is it more expensive ? berrabbit5849 @ gmail.com

Depending on the size of the system, I would think that CompactLogix would be less expensive. Plus, you would be using current technology versus old (5/03) and ancient (RIO, blue hose).

What all hardware would I need to go to Compact Logix ? 6 I/O cards in the main rack and 6 I/O cards in the remote rack. What type of cable connect to the main rack to the remote rack ?

As for the processor model I do not know yet. This is a future project when $ gets availiable. The I/O will be all 1746-OBP16 and 1746-IB16. No Analog. Have been using Micrologic 1500s so I forgot that the first slot in the 5/03 is "0". I assume it will use the G file. I will be using 7 slot chassis in both. The Processor chassis will have 6 I/O cards. The remote rack will have 6 I/O cards. 1st I/O used in my program for the remote rack is I:7/0. Are you saying the SN needs to be in slot 7 of the main chassis ? And I need to use I;O/O to start ?

A 7-slot 1747 chassis will have its slots numbered as 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6- there is no slot #7; the furthermost slot from the power supply is Slot #6.
If you install the 1747-SN module in Slot #6 of the primary chassis, the 1747-ASB controlled remote chassis data will be mapped within I:6.x and O:6.x SLC 5/03 Data Table files.
Since your remote rack's digital I/O modules are 16-point type, use Full-Slot addressing when configuring the 1747-ASB Remote I/O adapter.