SLC 5/03 Remote Rack Hardware

As for the processor model I do not know yet. This is a future project when $ gets availiable. The I/O will be all 1746-OBP16 and 1746-IB16. No Analog. Have been using Micrologic 1500s so I forgot that the first slot in the 5/03 is "0". I assume it will use the G file. I will be using 7 slot chassis in both. The Processor chassis will have 6 I/O cards. The remote rack will have 6 I/O cards. 1st I/O used in my program for the remote rack is I:7/0. Are you saying the SN needs to be in slot 7 of the main chassis ? And I need to use I;O/O to start ?

Slot Zero is for your CPU or ASB module. You never place I/O modules into Slot 0 of the local chassis. You may use that slot for an I/O module on an expansion chassis, but it is no longer "Slot 0" in that instance.

Yes, the SN module's Slot Number determines the range of the RIO addresses for that scanner. You cannot change this.

If you have already written a program with RIO references assigned to slot 7, then you'll need to either purchase a 10 slot chassis for your local rack or globally search and replace all of those Slot 7 I/O references in your program.

There is nothing wrong with using the older technology, if it gets the job done for you in the most cost effective manner. The only problem that you will encounter is the fact that AB jacks up the price on their older technology offerings in order to encourage users to upgrade to their newest technology.

While the hardware for a newer PLC system might cost less, you'll have to determine whether the new software purchase will offset that price difference.

Best of luck!

I am not sure I understand on the slots. Using 7 slot chassis. In the main rack the SN will be in the 7th [group 6] slot. In the remote rack the ASB will be in the 1st slot [group "0"]. What will be the addressing of the 2nd slot in the remote rack ? I:6/0.
In my program I am using.
Main rack I am using I;1 I;2 I;3 O;4 O;5 Remote rack I am using I;6 I;7 O;8 O;9 I;10

Do not mix-up chassis physical slot addressing with RIO Logical Rack/Group one!
The "seventh" slot of the 1747 Main Chassis (the farthest from the Power Supply) is addressed as Slot 6; if you install the 1747-SN in Slot 6 (the "seventh" one if counted from the Power Supply) all the Remote Rack's I/Os will be mapped within the I:6.x and O.6.x CPU Data Table files.
As @Bit Bucket 07 suggested, if your RSLogix 500 application is already developed using I:7.x and O:7.x addresses for the Remote I/O data, you will have to either replace the 1747 7-slot chassis with a 13-slot one (and installing the 1747-SN module in Slot 7- the "eighth" one counting from the Power Supply) or re-address all the I:7.x and O:7.x references as I:6.x and O:6.x while the 1747-SN module resides within Slot 6 (the "seventh" one) of the existing 7-slot chassis.
Now back to the 1747-SN Logical RIO Link specifications...
If complementary I/O are not being used, there could be only four Logical RIO Racks (Logical Rack 0, Logical Rack 1, Logical Rack 2 and Logical Rack 3)each one containing seven Groups (0 through 6)each Group representing one 16-bit word.
Please study the posted User manuals links.

Still confused. My program is written. I thought that if my SM module was in group 6 [slot 7] of the main rack and my ASB was in group/slot "O" of the remote rack. My next usable I/O would be I;6 in the second slot of the remote. So you are telling that when the SN is placed in a group that that I/O is not usable.
I haven't bought any hardware yet. So inorder for me to use I:6 as the first card in the remote rack where will my SN card have to be in the main rack ? I am using group 1 thru 5 in the main rack. 16 usable inputs on each card.

Your confusion is quite understandable for first time users of RIO communications data transfer.
One RIO Logical Group represents 1/8th of a Logical Rack and it contains one 16 bit word of RIO transfered data; IT DOES NOT HAVE ANYTHING TO DO WITH THE LOCATION OF THE RIO SCANNER!.
This data is mapped within the SLC CPU Data Tables depending of what physical slot the RIO Scanner is installed within.
When you install the 1747-SN module within a physical chassis slot (FORGET RACK OR GROUP FOR RIGHT NOW!), let's say Slot 5 (the "sixth" one from the Power Supply)all the I:5.s and O:5.x Data Table addresses are "taken" by the RIO network data.

Still confused. My program is written. I thought that if my SM module was in group 6 [slot 7] of the main rack and my ASB was in group/slot "O" of the remote rack. My next usable I/O would be I;6 in the second slot of the remote. So you are telling that when the SN is placed in a group that that I/O is not usable.
I haven't bought any hardware yet. So inorder for me to use I:6 as the first card in the remote rack where will my SN card have to be in the main rack ? I am using group 1 thru 5 in the main rack. 16 usable inputs on each card.

In order to use the RIO data as I:6.x (O:6.x) install the 1747-SN in Slot 6 (the seventh one from the Power Supply- last one in a 7-slot chassis).
You are not "using group 1 thru 5 in the main rack"; the Main Chassis installed I/O modules do not have any Rack/Group addressing; Rack/Group reference is related strictly to RIO data.

Last edited:
From what I recall the AB SN module users manual gave a great explanation of I/O mapping for RIO. A picture's worth a thousand words. Go to the AB web site and search thier documentation area for it.

The water is getting clearer. I put the SN in the slot beside the processor and that uses I;1/0 - 15. I change these inputs in my program to my I:3s.
Now back to the remote rack. The first slot is the ASB. What address is the next slot to the right of the ASB ? I:6 or does the ASB use a slot like the SN ?

If the 1747-SN resides within SLot 1 of the Main Chassis, then all the RIO data will be mapped as I:1.x and O:1.x.
If you have chosen 1-Slot Addressing for the 1747-ASB module, then the first Input module next to the RIO Adapter within the Remote Chassis will be mapped as I:1.1(Input 0 -> I:1/16, Input 1 -> I:1/17,.... Input 16 -> I:1/31.
The first words of the RIO data mapping (I:1.0 and O:1.0) are reserved for the RIO link status and configuration.

With RIO, the remote addressing is dependent on switch settings. The swith setting determine logical rack number among other things. This will determine where in the I/O table you data will appear along with the position of the scanner module of course. Don't confuse logical racks (your addressing scheme) with physical chassis.

If your scanner is in slot 1 and configured to communicate with one device which is a full logical rack (that is 1 chassis with 8 slots that starts at rack 0, group 0) then data would appear in the SLC data table starting at I:1.0-I:1.7 (for inputs) and 0:1.0-O:1.7 (for outputs).

This only applied to discrete I/O. Other things like analog that require block transfers are different.

Again, look up the AB documentation. I gives some great examples that will clear this all up for you.

The SLC doesn't know or care what hardware exists after the SN module. As far as it's concerned that one slot will expand to hold up to 32 words of data. After you add the SN card, notice how in the data table for I and O that slot 6 expandes to 32 words. This is where discrete I/O data will be mapped. Double clicking on the SN module in the I/O config window will bring up the Advanced I/O config. window. Clicking the Edit G Data button will bring up another window that allows you to config. the scanned devices.

In your case if you select Logical Rack 0, Group 0 and then select 'Full Rack' you'll see where the data will end up in the I/O table.

WildeKurt
I did this as you suggested. Primary devices, Logical rack 0, 3/4 rack Device #1 IO words 0 + 1, 2 + 3 and 4 + 5.
How is word 0 addressed ? Or is that done on the ASB module ? When I configure the ASB will I use rack 1 and my addressing would look like I1:0/0 and O1:0/0 ??
I'm a 64 year old Red Neck who has never set up any remote I/O. So all the help is appreciated. Thanks

The first Input (I:x.0) and Output words (O:x.0)of the 1747-ASB module RIO data mapping do not contain RIO I/O pertinent data; they contain the RIO Adapter's Status and Configuration information and they are used exclusively by the CPU controller in order to "master" its RIO networking.
Your Input and Output RIO data will be mapped starting with the second word (I:x.1 and O:x.1) of the mapped Data Table image depending of the Slot Addresing Mode chosen at the time of the 1747-ASB module configuration (1/2 Slot, 1 Slot or 2 Slot addressing).
Please READ THE POSTED USER MANUALS LINKS! All the information you need is professionaly laid out and there are also plenty of examples.
RIO networking is becoming obsolete for this very reason: it is cumbersome and not easy to comprehend.

Last edited:
My AB salesman tried for me to go to a ControlLogix setup. But the price for the processor was $9711.00. 1756-L73. The software was $3,360.00. I am just replacing about 60 old AC and DC relays. Can you suggest something more practical ? I would like to be in the $4000 to $6000 range or less. I have two versions of RSLogix 500 software we just bought last year when I installed a MicroLogix-1500. There was no remote on this system.