SLC 5/03 Remote Rack Hardware

RIO is not all that hard to understand. Just remember where a bit ends up is dependent on your addressing scheme. If you've got the gear, there's no reason not to use it.

So as dmargineau said, word 0 is status because your ASB module is residing in slot 0 of your remote rack. If your first input module is in slot 1 (and the SN module is in Slot 6 of main chassis) then in the data table you would address it: I:6.1 with input 0 being bit 0, input 1 being bit 1, etc.

If slot 2 of the remote chassis has an output module, then you would address that: O:6.2.

(We'll not worry about complementary I/O for now).

Out of curiosity: How much I/O do you need? Does it all need to be in remote chassis (i.e. remote locations)? If your I/O doesn't need to be in a remote location you might consider something out of the MicroLogix line (1100, 1200, etc). In addition to the onboard I/O, they support varying levels of expansion I/O and are every bit as capable as the SLC's. More so, in many respects. They also use the same programming sofware (RsLogix 500) as the SLC's. Just a thought.

If I were you I'd go CompactLogix for the Main 1747 chassis and leave the RIO 1747 chassis as it is, however, replace the 1747-ASB adapter with a 1747-AENTR module and control the Remote Rack via EtherNet/IP.
How much and what type SLC Main chassis hardware are we talking about?
Better yet, you might as well keep the SLC Main chassis as it is and replace the SLC CPU with another 1747-AENTR module and install a "small" 5730 CompactLogix CPU which will control the 1747 racks via EtherNet/IP.
1769-L30ER $2650.00 List
1747-AENTR $2050.00 List
Studio 5000 Mini Edition 9324-RLD200ENE $805.00 List
You might also need a $150 unmanaged Ethernet switch.
That's about it!
You will need to replace the RIO "blue-hose" with Ethernet Cat5/6 media but pretty much keep all the exising wiring as it is.

Last edited:
As I said I am replacing a 250 VDC control relay circuit. From where I wont my main rack to the remote is about 350 feet. I am using 5 I/O in the local rack and 5 I/O in the remote rack. So just for the remote location I need 80 wires. Three 30 conductor cables.1050 feet of cable. Guessing at the cost of this cable at $10 a foot. $10,000 for the cable or at $8 per foot is $8400.00. The conduit is underground and has been there since 1990 and stays full of water. So it is less expensive to use a remote rack. And replacing the DC relays with AC 8 contact relays would be a high price. We need to do away with this DC control circuit. Two weeks ago when no one was around we got some grounds in the circuit and the mill started up by itself. This is a pipe welding mill welding 8 inch pipe. Not a good thing to happen. I have seen this before when I worked for Lone Star Steel in both of their pipe mills. Someone could have got hurt seriously. Maybe you can understand why I am begging for help. Thank you.

WildeKurt
I did this as you suggested. Primary devices, Logical rack 0, 3/4 rack Device #1 IO words 0 + 1, 2 + 3 and 4 + 5.
How is word 0 addressed ? Or is that done on the ASB module ? When I configure the ASB will I use rack 1 and my addressing would look like I1:0/0 and O1:0/0 ??
I'm a 64 year old Red Neck who has never set up any remote I/O. So all the help is appreciated. Thanks

Your application is actually quite simple. You should contact your local distributor and see if they can't offer some hands-on tech support to assist you with the setup.

Alternately, you could spend gobs of money purchasing newer software and equipment that will confuse you even further.

If money is tight, there's no reason not to use RIO. There are tons of stuff out there and will be for many years into the future so supporting the hardware shouldn't be much of an issue.

You should be able to pick the stuff up on Ebay for next to nothing and then play around with it in your office to get a feel for it. What your planning is very do-able.

My AB DIst came by yesterday and gave me a price on a CompactLogix for around $800 and software for around $700. His initial price was $7000.00 for the processor and $3300 for the software. I told him AGAIN that I was just replacing about 50 relays. So I guess I will be learning a new system. Watched the videos of the TAGS. Seems a lot slower to program when you could just put in the contact and I/O address and move on.I really don't understand the advantage of tags.

I think you have taken the right decision.

Regarding the tags, I think you may not see the benefit initially. But over time, and especially when working on bigger projects, you will learn to appreciate it.

Naming tags takes a little bit getting used to but after a while you'll get the hang of it. It provides a very flexible address space. The performance of the Logix platform compared to the SLC/PLC stuff is fantastic.

What type of processor did your dist. recommend? The new 5370 Compact stuff is great. And finally no need for a serial cable: About time AB!

My AB DIst came by yesterday and gave me a price on a CompactLogix for around $800 and software for around $700. His initial price was $7000.00 for the processor and $3300 for the software. I told him AGAIN that I was just replacing about 50 relays. So I guess I will be learning a new system. Watched the videos of the TAGS. Seems a lot slower to program when you could just put in the contact and I/O address and move on.I really don't understand the advantage of tags.

You will after getting the hang of it...:D... Trust us on this one...👼
When you add I/Os to a Logix system, they will be automatically added to your RSL5K (Studio 5000)project; no more, no less...Only the existing I/Os (a lot easier to "find"!)
Moreover, you could "name" each and every I/O point as something relevant to your process; for example, Local Chassis/Slot4-Output Module/Point 6-Output could be "named"(Aliased in Logix jargon)as "Stand_4_RUN_Relay"; isn't that a lot easier than O:4/6 (without a Description)?!

Last edited: