SLC 5/05 Ethernet Problems

well

It should work. It is all configured correctly. Now I guess, it must be the host file. Make sure that is does not have an extention on it. Make sure that extentions are set visible. Since you get the topic updates in the abtcp from wondware, we can assume that wonderware is correctly communicating with abtcp, and the failure is abtcp's ability to find the host name.

Oh, and also, change it to advise all items for now, just to be safe, but its most likely not that.

We had a similar problem connecting Intouch to a 5/05 ours turned out to be a faulty card.
Try to ping the plc's ip address from the command prompt that would prove the card and host file etc..

Jezz :)

He can ping, and he can use linx to get online with logix. The ethernet works. This is most likely a software issue.

However, he points out a good idea. When you ping, dont ping to 10.10.10.2 or whatever you have, try a ping using the host name, ie

ping csp-50 or whatever your hostname was. That should also ping the plc, and prove your host file as well.

I can ping csp-50 & 10.10.10.2 (the host name & IP of the HMI computer) & I can ping 10.10.10.1 (the IP of the PLC). I don't know the host name of the plc - I never gave it one that I know of.

I wonder if the InTouch 8.0 ABTCP driver can't talk to the version of RSLogix I am using (4.10.01). I have the Wonderware rep checking on that. Unfortunately my company let our AB service agreement run out (before I got here) & we are now working on updating that so I can download the newer versions of Logix.

Wonderware cant talk at all with rslinx lite. It can talk to Rslix Professional and OEM because these versions of linx can be configured as OPC and DDE servers. You do not need rslinx to make this work. All you need is ABTCP.

You can ping via host name. The abtcp and the access name appear to be right. So, as far as I can tell, this should work. Ive use this set up all the time, and have no problems. At this point, I would say that it is wonderware (which over the last 6 years of using it, ive come to call "that buggy poorly written over priced piece of sheisse" (but thats another story)) The only thing I can say is it has to do with intouch ver 8.0. Ive never used 8.0, just 7.11, 7.0, and 5.6. Maybe U can get 7.11 for a price break or something. Also, just to throw a bone in, ive found win XP to also be a piece of junk, and highly suggest using win 2000 sp2 instead. So, it may not be wonderware, but windows. But it IS one of them.

PS. Definetly get the newer versions of Linx and Logix, you will be much happier.

well, I dont know what to tell ya. Ive had you check everything I can think of. We know the ethernet works, the host name works, the abtcp uses the host name to talk to the 5/05. The topic name in abtcp and the access name match. You access name is ok, and the tag appears to be right. At this point, I guess you up against a hard place. Why not put the wonderware rep on the ball, and make him come out to your place and check it out. Beyond that, I could use PC Anywhere to access it (if you have it) and check on it, but going that far would require a PO. ;)

Sorry I cant help ya.

Well, thanks for all the ideas and tips. I'm gonna keep plugging away at it and I'll let you know when I find out the problem. In the meantime, if you think of anything else, let me know. Thanks again.

just a quick idea to prove the I/O is working why don't you try using DDE in Excel to talk to read data from you plc...

At least that way you would know if the I/O is ok

Jezz

No Excel on this machine...But I got the problem fixed anyway! It seems the InTouch ABTCP driver MUST see a host name associated with the IP address of the PLC. This is setup in the HOSTS file. If you cannot ping the PLC host name it will not work. Well, I did a search of all files and came up with a file called HOSTS in the C:\I386 folder and changed it. But there is also a HOSTS file in the c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc foler, which is the one that must be changed. These files were identical except for their locations. I'm up and running now. Thanks again for all the help.

Verrrrry old thread

I know this is an old thread but I had the same thing happen to me today. I finally found the file but it seems stupid to go into a driver file to access the host file. Is there a way to get at it in the window viewer or something?

See, searching DOES work!

Kevin