SLC 5/05 Ethernet

Alex Pel

Hi everybody.

Is the any way to connect PC RSLinx to SLC 5/05 through Ethernet port if you don’t know the IP address configured on it? Also don’t use the serial port.

Thanks.

I can think of three ways.

Case 1: You know the subnet, and the SLC-5/05 is new enough to support EtherNet/IP.

The EtherNet/IP driver browses by sending out a broadcast packet with the "List Identity" service request. All devices that get the message reply with their identity information.

Case 2: You know the subnet, but don't know the IP address.

Use the freeware NMAP port scanner to check each device on your subnet for an open TCP Port 2222.

Case 3: You don't know the subnet, but you have a PC without a firewall.

Use the BOOTP/DHCP Server utility that comes with RSLinx to send an "enable BOOTP" request to the controller's MAC ID.

If none of these are the case, you're going to have to default the controller and let it go back to BOOTP mode.

I have to learn about BOOTP. Now BOOTP enable in my SLC-5/05. I started BOOTP application. I entered new record in Relation list. Recycle PLC power. BOOTP said: “Sent IP address xxx to MAC xxx”. Ok, I expect to see a new device in RSLinx, but nothing. What I am missing?

Thanks.

Why can't you connect a serial cable?

Is the 5/05 recently being connected to the network?
If its been connected for awhile and the network hasn't changed
Are you on the same layer2 network as the PLC?

since as ken said ether/IP uses a broadcast to find PLC's and broadcasts are limited by layer2 (can't cross from 10.1.1.1/24 to 10.2.1.1/24) for ether/IP to find it you need to have the following

same Layer2 net (mac address layer)
same layer3 net on your pc (IP address layer)
if you set your PC to 10.1.1.1/24 and the PLC is 10.2.2.2/24 you won't be able to communicate

the BOOTP idea is ok but many disable BOOTP so the IP will be what we set and a rouge BOOTP/DHCP server can't effect the PLC (not that a rouge server should be able to be there)

1_1_1 said:
Why can't you connect a serial cable?
It’s connected to some network. I didn’t know what was it and I was asked do not stop the process.

Finally I managed to set IP address to PLC by BOOTP. In my last experiment I forget to set PC IP address. Also I figured out, that direct connection PC to SLS-5/05 does not need a crossover cable. I use the straight cable without any hub. It works.

Also I figured out, that direct connection PC to SLS-5/05 does not need a crossover cable. I use the straight cable without any hub. It works.

Glad to hear you got your controller configured, but I'll argue your point about crossover cables.

Unless something has changed that I am not aware of, the SLC-5/05 has a normal Ethernet port and you need a crossover cable to connect it to your PC.

Maybe your PC has a special auto-crossover port, but the SLC-5/05 does not.