SLC 5/05 Help fast

mrdmrd.

Pardon me, but your posts are a little confusing to read.

First you wrote:
Worked fine after I switched the jumper back to the original position.
Then you wrote:
I flashed the memory and started fresh I got RS-232 comms reestablished and the card seems to be working right.
("flashed the memory" = cleared the memory and loaded a new program from eprom ? by downloading ? or ..?).
Could it be that you had to put the jumper in the correct position AND load a program with the correct i/o configuration to get it to RUN ?

I am wondering is why it acted this way in the first place??
("it"=the first 5/05 that faulted ?)
It is possible that its memory has been cleared because of noise or power supply problems. If an EPROM with the correct program was inserted, then it should have loaded after the next power cycle. I cannot explain why it didnt load from the EPROM if there indeed was one inserted.
However, you should have been able to get online with the CPU via the serial port after resetting the memory. It is possible that you have to remove the EPROM to get it to a fresh state.
If that isnt succesful, then the 1st 5/05 CPU is most likely dead.

JesperMP said:
If an EPROM with the correct program was inserted, then it should have loaded after the next power cycle. I cannot explain why it didnt load from the EPROM if there indeed was one inserted.

If the appropriate S register (See Attached Picture) is not set then the 5/05 or an SLC will not load from eeprom on boot or fault or anything else.

Sorry for the confusion.

Flashed = pulled the battery and shorted VBB to GND

The REPLACEMENT card had the jumper in the wrong positon (this was my fault) this card is working fine now

The ORIGINAL card is the one in question this is the card that I lost all comms with and could not get into run mode in the first place.
On the original card I Erased the memory by pulling the battery and shorting VBB to GND and started fresh by getting RS-232 comms re-established. What I am trying to find out is what could have caused the Original card to lose comms and not go into run mode also there where no FAULTS on this card or at least the FLT was not flashing. I do want to add that when I got RS-232 established on the original card when I tried to download I kept getting an error (this might not be exact but)someting like not enough memory on processor immage. Not sure if this means that my program was too big for the processor memory or what???
I hope this cleared things up a bit if you need more information let me know.

Ahhhh... that explains some of the confusion.... Most of the time when we(I) talk about "flashing" a processor, panelview, etc., what we are doing is re-installing/upgrading the operating system of whatever component we are working on......

Yes, I associate "Flashing" with either
1. Writing code or data to an EPROM or FLASH memory.
or
2. Running around stark naked in front of a large crowd of people.

:)